Leaking Tank - Advice Needed Please!

holidayinn

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 11, 2003
Messages
709
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
London
Hi All

Noticed yesterday that my RIO 400 was leaking, size of a pinhole, hard to really notice right now, but it's definitely there. The problem is I have it stocked with fish and was wondering whether I can use an underwater sealant/proxy such as Adheseal to repair the tank from the outside or inside.

Is there any product you can recommend? Has anyone used the underwater-proxy method before?

Many thanks
 
where on the tank is the hole? Is it a hole in the sealent, between the seelent and the glass, or on a glass pane?

Silicone can be used underwater (aquarium safe variety), but have to use very little bit (a smear on a finger) as silicone contains acetic acid (that vinegary smell you get when you re-do the bathroom).

If the hole is very small, and you live in a hard water area you will probably find it soon seals itself up by depositing limescale (depending on water treatments you use). Then you can wait until the tank is empty (or the waterlevel exposes the hole) before you take action.
 
Hi All

Noticed yesterday that my RIO 400 was leaking, size of a pinhole, hard to really notice right now, but it's definitely there. The problem is I have it stocked with fish and was wondering whether I can use an underwater sealant/proxy such as Adheseal to repair the tank from the outside or inside.

Is there any product you can recommend? Has anyone used the underwater-proxy method before?

Many thanks

One of my tanks cracked across the bottom due to a small leak, the stuff just gushed out in a fully stocked tank so id say your lucky.

Best bet is to transfer all fish to a few buckets and cover with towels etc. Drain the tank, mark where the hole is and repair with silicone, the stuff that most tanks are constructed with, make sure its non toxic though!!!
 
Not really familiar with that tank. Is it glass or acrylic? I don't know about the safeness of epoxy for the inhabitants of the tank but epoxy could eat away or deteriorate the acrylic, creatng a bigger problem. I do know that silicone will only work on dry surfaces. Unless Adheseal states that it is safe for aquariums, I wouldn't use it.
 
I do know that silicone will only work on dry surfaces.

True - it will only stick to dry surfaces, but it can be squeezed into cracks and dips if the hole is big enough.

I should have been more clear. sorry.
 
I didn't say that as a direct response to your post as we were both posting at the same time. Sorry if it came across that way. I would tend to agree with lokko though that the best bet is to take the tank down and repair it. Any other type repair could give way again and result in a major problem. Can you imagine 100 gallons of water on the living room floor? Even 1 gallon looks like a flood.
 
Thanks for you replies. I get the feeling the best method to use would be to empty the tank. The only problem is I have nowhere to keep the filters running or to put the fish. I may ask my local lfs if they can look after them overnight over the wekend.

The leak seems to be coming from the back right hand corner of the tank. I run my hand across the base of the tank and I can feel water. I'm not sure exactly where the leak is, but i think it is between the panes of glass in the sealant (i hope), I will try to pinpoint the cause tonight.

Found a product called Gold Label Pond Aquarium Sealer. Anyone had any experience with this? It states no need to drain and completely safe for fish. http://www.absolute-koi.com/subcat546.html I'm thinking if i can use this at least on the outside of the tank it may solve the problem.
 
How old is the tank. Glass is not usualy part of a warrenty, but seals are. If it's under a year old (possibly 3 with Juwels?) I'd strip it and take it back for replacement :good:

Milli-put can be used to close small holes short-term, but you need to be shure the structure of the tank is still safe, or the seam could properly blow :crazy: Also a few firms now do set under water aquarium safe sealers (AquaOne being one of them I think...) For any repairs, the joint needs to be clean, and dry in the case of normal silicone...

All the best
Rabbut
 
How old is the tank. Glass is not usualy part of a warrenty, but seals are. If it's under a year old (possibly 3 with Juwels?) I'd strip it and take it back for replacement :good:

Milli-put can be used to close small holes short-term, but you need to be shure the structure of the tank is still safe, or the seam could properly blow :crazy: Also a few firms now do set under water aquarium safe sealers (AquaOne being one of them I think...) For any repairs, the joint needs to be clean, and dry in the case of normal silicone...

All the best
Rabbut

Thanks for the advice..The tank is a few years old, bought it 2nd hand so no chance of exchange. In the end I managed to borrow a friends tank and move all the fish around. Identified the leak, scraped it, sealed it..even painted the back of the tank...during all this i even managed to break my nose!!! But its all good now (fingers crossed)....
 

Most reactions

Back
Top