laser, peppers and albinos

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

daisygirl

Reaction score
So i'm fairly new to the cory world and i'm soo in love with them. I was wondering, I have a 55 gallon and wanted to have 2 each of orange laser, pepper and albino cories in the tank... is that okay, or do I really need to have 6 of the same kind. I'm confused on the whole 6 is a better to have as a group.

The main issue is total number of Corydoras. Each species lives in large groups numbering dozens if not hundreds of their species, and in many (but not all) of their habitats there is just one species in an area. But they all get along, and numbers does seem to be the over-riding factor, whether it be one species or two or more species. Nuymbers are very important; the more there are, the less skittish they will be, and that means healthier.

I try to get a few of a species when I acquire them, usually five. For various reasons, this may not always be possible. For well over a decade now I have maintained a group of 40, 50 or 60 cories in the tank, and there has always been several species within this number. At present I have 41 representing 12 species; some have seven, six, or five of their own, some one, two or three, or four. Some species do seem to like their own more than others, Corydoras panda is one that always seems to be better with a group of their own, five, six or seven for example.

Not all shoaling fish species are like this; most do need a group of their own species, not mixed species. But Corydoras so far as we can tell do not seem bothered, so long as there are lots of them. Which brings me to your tank...you want more than just six. I would say 12-15 in total should be minimum, and since you like them you could go up to 30-40 and they would be even happier. If you can get 3-5 of each species, good.

Thank you for the advice!! Yeah, I love my corys for sure, but am also looking to stock with other types of fish with the corys the family wants a variety. I just have a tough time getting one kind since they're all so intriguing and beautiful..LOL... okay, I may just have to convince the hubby to do a 3rd tank just for corys...

Thank you for the advice!! Yeah, I love my corys for sure, but am also looking to stock with other types of fish with the corys the family wants a variety. I just have a tough time getting one kind since they're all so intriguing and beautiful..LOL... okay, I may just have to convince the hubby to do a 3rd tank just for corys...

When you have the tank space, it is important to stock the fish species for their benefit. With cories, that means numbers. A group of six cories will not be as well adjusted (related to "healthy") as will a group of 12 cories, all else being equal. They expect large groups, it is programmed into their DNA, so you need to provide it. This is so often why small tanks are not advised, we cannot have enough of the fish and they are then living under negatives and that is not good for their health or their happiness.

I definitely agree on the large groups. I have 30 in my 55G, mine are all peppers or sterbai. There is still plenty of space for my 45 tetras, also only 2 types plus a few other fish.

The main issue is total number of Corydoras. Each species lives in large groups numbering dozens if not hundreds of their species, and in many (but not all) of their habitats there is just one species in an area. But they all get along, and numbers does seem to be the over-riding factor, whether it be one species or two or more species. Nuymbers are very important; the more there are, the less skittish they will be, and that means healthier.

I try to get a few of a species when I acquire them, usually five. For various reasons, this may not always be possible. For well over a decade now I have maintained a group of 40, 50 or 60 cories in the tank, and there has always been several species within this number. At present I have 41 representing 12 species; some have seven, six, or five of their own, some one, two or three, or four. Some species do seem to like their own more than others, Corydoras panda is one that always seems to be better with a group of their own, five, six or seven for example.

Not all shoaling fish species are like this; most do need a group of their own species, not mixed species. But Corydoras so far as we can tell do not seem bothered, so long as there are lots of them. Which brings me to your tank...you want more than just six. I would say 12-15 in total should be minimum, and since you like them you could go up to 30-40 and they would be even happier. If you can get 3-5 of each species, good.
Its refreshing to see someone else recommend the numbers.

Everyone said 6 cories in a 20 gallon. I kept 6 trilineatus and 6 peppers in 2 different 20 gallons. It seemed way too few.

So i upped them to 9 in both tanks and they're a lot happier. My 20gs are single cory species.

My 46g is a mix of species totaling 17 cories and even my more timid species are out and about more. Certain ones seem to prefer certain others for company, but the mixed group seems quite happy and always out and about.

Go for a larger group, you wont regret it. Cories would prefer having more friends over having a large empty space around.

The only species id recommend not mixing are the larger cories in with the pygmy and dwarf species. Theyre too small to compete for food. And very shy.

I definitely agree on the large groups. I have 30 in my 55G, mine are all peppers or sterbai. There is still plenty of space for my 45 tetras, also only 2 types plus a few other fish.
are you able to have so many in your 55g because the tetras are small? I would think that would overload the tank

Its refreshing to see someone else recommend the numbers.

Everyone said 6 cories in a 20 gallon. I kept 6 trilineatus and 6 peppers in 2 different 20 gallons. It seemed way too few.

So i upped them to 9 in both tanks and they're a lot happier. My 20gs are single cory species.

My 46g is a mix of species totaling 17 cories and even my more timid species are out and about more. Certain ones seem to prefer certain others for company, but the mixed group seems quite happy and always out and about.

Go for a larger group, you wont regret it. Cories would prefer having more friends over having a large empty space around.

The only species id recommend not mixing are the larger cories in with the pygmy and dwarf species. Theyre too small to compete for food. And very shy.
do you have other fish in your 20gallon with the 6 cories? how many and what types?

do you have other fish in your 20gallon with the 6 cories? how many and what types?
I have tetras in one and the other barbs and some livebearers, not the best mix with livebearers because parameters are fairly far apart. Id recommend keeping to what your water allows best.

I have hard water here, we're on a well. still trying to figure out the whole what corys are good together. My albinos are doing well in my 20 gallon but all that being said from today's conversation, I think i'm going to add a few more to that tank.

I have hard water here, we're on a well. still trying to figure out the whole what corys are good together. My albinos are doing well in my 20 gallon but all that being said from today's conversation, I think i'm going to add a few more to that tank.
Do you know your gh? If your albinos are aeneus, you may be alright as they overlap a little into the hard water range, according to seriously fish. And if thats the case, you may be better off sticking with just aeneus

are you able to have so many in your 55g because the tetras are small? I would think that would overload the tank
The tank is well established and has plenty of plants (its the one in my signature). Since the corys and tetras live at different levels they spend very little time in each others space. Larger groups of fish are also less stressed. I further reduce the stress by using the soft acidic water they naturally expect and the lighting is very subdued due to all the floating plants, which is a good thing for both corys and tetras. Aside from that I do a 75% water change in each of my 3 tanks every week. I don't actually recall having a sick fish in the last decade.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back