large fancy goldfish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jasmine

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone, could someone tell me whether a large fancy oranda would be ok in my pond over the summer? I would bring him in for the winter. -_-
thanks

they will be fine.
just remember they are slower than others when it comes to feeding.

how big is the tank for the winter you need 20 gal for the first and 10gal for each thereafter. :D

Hi Danio, thanks for the reply. At the moment he is living with a small pearlscale in a 30" tank. but i need the tank and cant afford another at the moment. I dont want to get rid of the fish cos he really nice. So i thought the pond would do as a temp home for the summer, then i could get a new tank for him.

Yep he can live outside in summer providing its not with Common Goldfish who will out compete the less robust Oranda for food. :)

there are comets, ghost koi, normal koi, mirror carp in the pond, but the fancy is bigger than them all.

Why not buy a rubbermade tank and toss some dirt in the bottom thats probably 20 bucks right there mabey make a DIY filter for another 20 and you are set.

jasmine said:
there are comets, ghost koi, normal koi, mirror carp in the pond, but the fancy is bigger than them all.
Well you can usually get away with it in a tank, but in a pond where a main part of their diet is live pond foods Fancies are often out competed by the more adapt Comets and Koi so if you can I would keep it else where. :)

ryan said:
jasmine said:
Well you can usually get away with it in a tank, but in a pond where a main part of their diet is live pond foods Fancies are often out competed by the more adapt Comets and Koi so if you can I would keep it else where. :)
I'd go with Ryan on this one :stupid:
only kidding ryan your not stupid but I like that smiley :)

Most reactions

Back