Lampeye Breeding Behaviour~Do You Know...?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I was unable to source any locally so did a search and found a couple of online suppliers that had them in stock.

I bought a pair of Red Scarlet Indian Badis online too after reading about them in other Discussions/threads on here recently. They've settled down nicely in one of my my Guppy/shrimp tanks for population control !!!

Thanks for the offer of help... I might just need it !

Yes the Badis are lovely little fish, I have a topic on them, mine turned out not to be the ones you have though. Not long moved them into my 180L, they tend to stay in the bottom quarter generally, so do not compete with the LEs.

Here's their tank...

This is the best I could capture them in a photo ! ...

Great, they are not easy to photo.
Is it a fairly new set up?

Here are some of mine...click on the image and it should expand so you can see them better.
image.jpeg

The tank was set up 10 days ago using water, plants and filter medium from my main 3ft tank, they seem to have settled in and grown a bit already and Ive even seen some of the courtship displays you spoke of. I'm delighted with them.
If all goes well and they breed I will start moving some in to the main tank. If I put them in the main tank now their eggs wouldnt  have a chance with all the Cherry shrimp !!!
Nice photo of your Lampeyes.

I'm pleased you are happy with them, they are indeed a lovely fish, the more the merrier as well.
I thought Cherry Shrimp just cleaned eggs and did not eat them?
Thanks re my pic, and for adding yours.

I'm pretty sure they will eat fish eggs and there are hundreds of the little blighters !!!

The Lampeyes are growing by the day and I see three males and one female going by the colours and finnage. The others need to grow a bit more, tomorrow I'm going to move two of the males into my main display tank with the aim of having male/female ratio 1-3 ? in this tank.

I'm looking forward to seeing them interacting with the other fish and schooling! in a larger tank.

Taken by a friend using their better camera same time as the ones above !

Are you planning to move them all into the larger tank in due course? I have found that keeping them in a large group is the best way for them to display and school. I have not concerned myself as much with the male/female ratio, as I find it is not as bad with egg layers as live bearers.

Great pic, although their eyes are not as lit up in that one, were the lights on or off?

I definatley would like a schooling shoal in the main tank, I'm already thinking of ordering another ten online to go straight in there! i'll leave a male and 2-3 females in 34 ltr and have go at breeding.

Mine were taken with flash off so i think it must be a flash thing with the photo !

Mine bred in my large planted tank in a large shoal. They need to feel safe in order to breed, and are a schooling fish. So if you have a lot of cover plants, I have Ricca, then it is likely you will get them breeding. No harm in trying the two environments though. This topic is about their breeding behaviour, as due to my observations I am keen to know what others experience I.e. A form of guarding behaviour. Hope to hear how your are behaving once they start breeding. I agree with the flash "turning off those eyes".

This afternoon I gave them a feed of Microworms and watched them for 15mins or so, one of the males seems to be guarding the small Java Fern offcut I placed in the centre of their tank, chasing his tankmates off and displaying to the females. I dont think they are mature yet but almost ready too spawn...  so just practising !!!

Lost three of them but their mates are growing and glowing!

Great Pete re the behaviour, keep watching and reporting, as I am sure they are guarding when they need to.

Sorry you lost three, any ideas why?

They were the smallest and I suspect the runts of a spawning, please forgive me but I am not one to grizzle when it comes to such delicate little critters, seemed like a swimm bladder problem and euthanized them humanly as I have learned how over the years of fishkeeping. I will not risk anything spreading to the other fish and aquaria or resort to chemicals that stir up another mess.
That aside all is well and I will keep you posted.

How are yours doing?

Most reactions

Back