Labeo Chrysophekadion Aka Black Shark

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

barnsleylad

Reaction score
I have recently bought one of these so thought i would add my research to this site i think this is the right section

Name: Labeo chrysophekadion

Common Names: Black Labeo, Black Beauty, Black Shark

Origin: Southeast Asia, Java, Borneo and the Malayan Peninsula

Size: Up to 90 cm in the wild. Usually 30 to 60 cm in aquaria

Minimum Tank Size: At least 100 gallon but considering they can reach 60 cm in aquaria, much larger is preferred

Character: Agressive

Sexing: Male and females are not visually distinct

Breeding: Not usually practical in aqauria as sexing is difficult and these sharks are extremley aggressive to there own kind. Never recorded in aquaria

Care and Food: The Black Shark is omnivorous and requires both plant and meat in its diet. They should be fed live food, fresh and frozen vegetables, and frozen beef heart in order for them to thrive. They may also be given flakes and pellets, but fresh foods are a must for this fish. These fish also need vegetation in their diets and they will eat aquarium plants. If they are not given vegetable matter they will usually become significantly more susceptible to disease. Additionally their coloration tends to diminish if their diet is poor in veggies.

Comments: The Black Shark grows quite large and should only be housed in a large aquarium. For this reason it may not be suitable for all tanks. Black Sharks are highly aggressive to their own kind, and only one should be kept per tank. This aside, they are generally peaceful with similarly sized but different bodied fish, and they usually do well in tanks with large cichlids and catfish. Because of their size they are not well suited for community tanks, they will often view small community fish as lunch. It has been reported that this fish will also kill fish larger than itself, so it is important to find tankmates based on your individual fish's personality. They should not be kept with fish that tend to be nervous or are easily damaged such as rays, discus, needlefish, etc.

These fish seem to prefer to swim in the mid to bottom regions of the tank. Water should be kept between 75 and 81 degrees Fahrenheit with pH levels between 6.8 and 7.5. The Black Shark is a very good jumper and it is important that their aquariums be covered with a tight fitting hood.

Any corrections welcome

Attachments

• FWF_0004610_20030321211353.jpg
    FWF_0004610_20030321211353.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 352

Most reactions

trending

Back