The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello, here’s the questions;
1. What’s the difference between Pangio myersi, Pangio kuhlii, Pangio semicincta and Pangio cuneovirgata
2. What type is my loach?
3. How low can pH be? My pH in kuhli tank is 4.0
4. I put too much Indian Almond leaves in the tank. Now I cant even see anything, is it dangerous to fishes?
5. How many type of Kuhli loaches are there?

Attachments

• EF70364E-C140-4FB2-A390-9592CE04AA16.jpeg
    EF70364E-C140-4FB2-A390-9592CE04AA16.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 85EC6D1B-5112-4631-B915-8D58D0D23B36.jpeg
    85EC6D1B-5112-4631-B915-8D58D0D23B36.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 68BCBCCA-5641-4A25-A795-5775C867B7E9.jpeg
    68BCBCCA-5641-4A25-A795-5775C867B7E9.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
PH is fine for them, just keep it stable.

Yours look like pangio kuhli. Myersi have very wide brown bands that wrap the body and they practically look more like sausages than noodles.

I think the tannins should be fine. They will probably like the darkness more since they are nocturnal fish.

There are currently 34 accepted distinct species in the genus Pangio. A few other "species" are now considered synonymous with one of the distinct species. There are some other genera holding species of very similar loaches. See Eschmeyer's Catalog of Fishes, California Academy of Sciences, available free online at

The most recent and complete taxonomical study is that of Maurice Kottelat, "Conspectus Cobitidum: An Inventory of the Loaches of the World (Teleostei: Cypriniformes: Cobitoidei)," The Raffles Bulletin of Zoology (2012), Supplement 26. Dr. Kottelat worked on this study over a period of twelve years. It is also available free online:

I did a revision of the Cobitidae species for Seriously Fish a couple of years ago using Dr. Kettelat's study, though not all species are on SF.

@Byron would i be allowed to message you regarding a loach identification question?

Ignore those swordtail, now kuhli have their own tank :)
Good, I was about to mention the fact that your livebearers won’t like the ph being that low.

Your Kuhli Loaches look like pangio kuhli’s to me.:
AA41D9FB-F394-4FFE-AECD-3B0027FE8044.jpeg

(Excuse the water marks)

That was a Pangio Kuhli. ^

As for your Indian Almond leaf problem...

“The dark water tank appearance caused by these tannins is considered unsightly by some aquarists, but it actually mimics the natural habitat of many fish species! In fact, it’s said that a lot of fish feel less exposed when in dark water, which may help shyer fish gain more confidence that will bring them to the front of the tank. These properties alone definitely make using Indian almond leaves worth considering, but we’ll discuss even more benefits to adding some leaf litter to your tank later!”

(https://www.aquariadise.com/indian-almond-leaves/)

As you can see in the article, to much can be dangerous. It can lower the ph level of your tank, making it dangerous for your fish. I suggest doing large water changes so that all clears up and to remove the leaves.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back