Kribensis Starting To Spawn.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fluval-1200

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Recently bought a pair of kribensis and put them into my main tank which is 323litre. They instantly started cleaning there site and was showing spawning behaviour. I then moved them to my 100litre tank so they could spawn in peace, they then started fighting and nothing was happening for a couple weeks.
Now there back in the large tank and I have put a piece of pvc pipe in there with a rock in the way so they should be safe from my sailfin pleco. They have started spawning behaviour again (cleaned the sand out the tube and showing full colour), hopefully I should have some baby kribs soon.
What I want to know is the best way of separating them once they are free swimming, I don't want to lose to many as im hoping to fund my next tank with the sale of fry and I don't want to freak the parents out.

Should I get my gravel vac and suck them out once they are free swimming?

Assuming you have a grow-on tank ready for them, best thing is to net them.

Who are you hoping to sell the fry to?

the_lock_man said:
Assuming you have a grow-on tank ready for them, best thing is to net them.

Who are you hoping to sell the fry to?
I have the 100litre tank running atm so will use that for a grow out tank.
Il put them up for sale at a bargain price each or possibly sell the bulk in one go, will have to see how it goes.

Wish I had separated mine from mum and dad I only have 3 left now :(

Before you separate you need to watch them and make sure that mum is not still "blow" feeding them

meandmykribs said:
Wish I had separated mine from mum and dad I only have 3 left now
sad.png

Before you separate you need to watch them and make sure that mum is not still "blow" feeding them
Did they eat them?
Il be keeping a close eye on them, they haven't spawned yet. Im quite interested in seeing the process, the area cleaning is quite interesting to see.

Yes they did, the vicious attacks made me remove all the other fish so there were only the 2 kribs, the fry, a cae and a pleco left and they still ate them :(

I nearly cried
cry1.gif

But they are still young and this is their first batch of fry so im sure they will learn from it

I checked again before and there is only 1 left now bless it its managed to grow soo much and mum or dad will prob eat it tomorrow but then they will be ready to get their jiggy on again so im not too concerned just yet

But I did have 30+ fry to start with

Don't be surprised if you find eggs and then they are gone before hatching its just mum and dad may be juvenile and new to all this parenthood thing but they will get it in the end
smile2.gif

I think im just going to leave them alone for the first month or 2, I don't want to spook them and they eat there fry.
Your profile pic is amazing, do you have a bigger photo that I could have a look at?

That is not one of mine I stole it from the internet
blush.png

This is one of my fry that are no more although I must apologise for the poor quality

fviPn3v.jpg

aww congrats in 3-5 days they will hatch and then the same again to become free swimming
winner.gif

can you get a pic for me?

These were mine ;)

mxLpdHj.jpg

Again apologies for the poor quality think my phone has had its day

Ive made them a home that's kinda under the sand so its hard to get a pic lol, I can only just see the eggs when I shine a light in there.
Hoping to get some nice pictures when they start swimming together in the tank, I will keep you updated :)

Checked on them again this morning, the eggs were all moving around and kinda hanging from the top of cave, couldn't see what was hanging them though.
Checked again just now, 1 egg left?

Oh yay!!!!! that means that somewhere on the bottom you must have beautiful fry!!!!!

I'm so excited for you i'm guna burst!!!!

Have a look and just sit still and watch you will see what looks like the sand/gravel moving

Aww I'm made up for you keep me posted :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back