Kribensis Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ReddSamurai

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi all,

i have had 2 kribs(m/f) for a month now and lately they've been acting weird and im not sure if its aggression or spawning/mating behavior.

basically the female follows the male a lot and every now and again they will peck at each other and almost lock lips.

any help will be great :)

I haven't seen that, when mine get frisky they do the frisky dance, which is them shaking at eachother, then they'll start clearing out a cave or something and guarding it a bunch. 

every now and again they will go side to side and like shake at each other, i tried to get a video but they are camera shy and the best i could get was
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0czBmOpH67M&feature=youtu.be

looks about normal, but they might have issues with the yoyos, I know mine do when they're defending. Cause they don't know to stay away, and mine are tiny yoyos still so the big ones might be even more of a pain in the butt for them. Also love your accent =p

Those are aggression moves. The same thing when a kissing gouramis or paradise fish does when they're fighting

I'd say the female is trying to show off to the male but the male is more interested in keeping an eye on the YoYos.

The YoYos look quite big for the tank so I don't think your Kribs are going to get enough peace and quiet to start breeding. The male seems to be too worried about the YoYos so even if they do manage to get some eggs laid your tank doesn't seem big enough for them to coexist together. When my Kribs have young the rest of the tank's inhabitants are chased off from what is about a 2ft area around them. My tank is 120x50x60 and that's only just about big enough.

I presume they're in the Roma 125l in your profile so I don't think your tank is big enough for them all I'm afraid.

BelldandyShanny said:
looks about normal, but they might have issues with the yoyos, I know mine do when they're defending. Cause they don't know to stay away, and mine are tiny yoyos still so the big ones might be even more of a pain in the butt for them. Also love your accent =p
haha i wasnt going to say anything but then a friend asked me something, yea i love the yoyos but they are mad. they are like clumsy dogs xD

Tongue_Flicker said:
Those are aggression moves. The same thing when a kissing gouramis or paradise fish does when they're fighting
cheers thats why i asked because i have 2 female pearls that lock lips every now and again when they are around the male which i know is aggressive.

Lunar Jetman said:
I'd say the female is trying to show off to the male but the male is more interested in keeping an eye on the YoYos.

The YoYos look quite big for the tank so I don't think your Kribs are going to get enough peace and quiet to start breeding. The male seems to be too worried about the YoYos so even if they do manage to get some eggs laid your tank doesn't seem big enough for them to coexist together. When my Kribs have young the rest of the tank's inhabitants are chased off from what is about a 2ft area around them. My tank is 120x50x60 and that's only just about big enough.
I presume they're in the Roma 125l in your profile so I don't think your tank is big enough for them all I'm afraid.
hmmm bugger so what do you suggest? removing the kribs or the yoyos?

wish i could start again as i didnt think i would like cichlids as much as i do.

I moved my kribs to their own tank when they start frisky dancing, then once I have some swimmers I'll move them back, but like I said my yoyos are itty bitty at the moment.

Haha cichlids have attitude that's why they'll keep you hooked up on them.

You'll know if they're starting to mate if they do weird stuff with each other's fins especially with the egg spots, a lot of body undulations, sand fanning and gill fluffing

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back