Kribensis breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Corey06

Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first post..

I have 2 kribensis a male and female the female keeps doing the S shape thing and vibrations and the male is doing the vibrations aswell but when the female gose in one of the caves the male never goes in and if he is in there and the female comes in he goes flying out.. Do you think they will breed or should I switch the male cuz the female is definitely eager to breed?

Hi Corey! Welcome to the forum. This post should go in the African/Old World Cichlids section - I supposed a moderator will move it.

That being said, it sounds like they have already paired off. The "S" bend is a mating dance - the female is attempting to entice the male to enter the cave and breed. The breeding process can take many days - just be patient. You'll know they are close when the ovipositor tube starts to come out of the female - that is how she lays her eggs. I would not recommend switch the males at - I would recommend waiting for nature to take its course.

Hi Corey! Welcome to the forum. This post should go in the African/Old World Cichlids section - I supposed a moderator will move it.

That being said, it sounds like they have already paired off. The "S" bend is a mating dance - the female is attempting to entice the male to enter the cave and breed. The breeding process can take many days - just be patient. You'll know they are close when the ovipositor tube starts to come out of the female - that is how she lays her eggs. I would not recommend switch the males at - I would recommend waiting for nature to take its course.
Thank you for your response and advice.
Also how do you put it in the African/Old World Cichlids section

Do you have pics of them both please?

Do you have pics of them both please?
Hi, yes I will attach the photos of them both but they might not be the best of photos.

Attachments

• 20210409_120948.jpg
    20210409_120948.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210409_120901.jpg
    20210409_120901.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 92
What are you feeding them? And what temperature is it set at?

Hi, yes I will attach the photos of them both but they might not be the best of photos.
It is very obvious that they are about to breed. Male Kribensis typically only exhibit the cherry red belly when breeding/protecting their fry.

As previously stated - just wait for nature to take it's course. They are likely to be first time parents so do not be disappointed if they lose a majority, if not all, of the first couple of batches.

A unique twist on Kribensis breeding is that (though I do not believe there is an official case study), the pH of the water has a direct correlation on the gender of the fry. The higher the pH about 7, the more males you are likely to have. The softer the water / below 7.0, the more females you are likely to have.

I have always had hard water with a 8.4 pHand I had quite a few males - but this seems to be a fairly common phenomenon.

A unique twist on Kribensis breeding is that (though I do not believe there is an official case study), the pH of the water has a direct correlation on the gender of the fry. The higher the pH about 7, the more males you are likely to have. The softer the water / below 7.0, the more females you are likely to have.
I've heard the same said about Betta too

It is very obvious that they are about to breed. Male Kribensis typically only exhibit the cherry red belly when breeding/protecting their fry.

As previously stated - just wait for nature to take it's course. They are likely to be first time parents so do not be disappointed if they lose a majority, if not all, of the first couple of batches.

I have always had hard water with a 8.4 pHand I had quite a few males - but this seems to be a fairly common phenomenon.
Thank you
She has layed eggs yesterday and the male was going in and doing his thing but like you said she has lost quite a few eggs. The male doesn't seem to cear that there are eggs he is just swimming around not protecting them or anything

I would say that's expected. The male will typically guard the perimeter - he is not really involved in caring for the eggs directly. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back