Kribensis Are There 3 Different Species? Help!

This is my first post. I just heard a talk about kribs. The different species come from different rivers in West Africa. The speaker said that male/female pairs may get hostile to each other. He had a pair with 3 spawns, and then the male killed the female. He keeps a dither krib with them, so they attack it instead of each other and form a tight bond. In regards to your krib species, Scarlet Krib is a common name. Not sure what species it is. The krib "taeniatus" , http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/P-taeniatus.html is a beautiful variation. You might look at thekrib.com, under dwarf cichlids. there are many listings of kribs. Here is a web blog http://guitarfish.org/ The first entry is about the krib lecture.
Best regards,
Mark

You have a standerd pulcher who is ready to breed. you always want the male to be bigger. go back to the store( homeowned, they will always make a deal) and get a bigger one by exchange.

here is a list of the kribs i know about:pulcher, dehane, subocellatus, humilis, dimidiatus, parilus( one of my favorites), aff. pulcher, taeniatus, roloffi( favorite), aff. subcellatus.

google them, beatiful fish

thanks Kribensis, I have and there are some lovely species, aren't there?

However, as I said in and earlier post

"LFS that hubby got them from wont take returns, they claim that it's their policy because of disease and their supplier would have issues with them if they did! So I'm kind of stuck with them. If it was the one I normally go to, there'd be no problem, they know me really well in there and actually have taken my advice on a few issues, they really have no idea, they just sell fish as part of their Nursery!"

So unfortunately I'm stuck with them!

if you have another homeowned petstore, call them and say you want to do a trade in for a bigger male.

That would be the perfect solution except! I live in the middle of nowhere, there are 3 places that sell fish near me (45 km's away). One of which is so filthy that I wont go in there anymore. The one I go to would possibly take the fish BUT they only buy young fish ie small, they would not have a bigger fish than the one I've got anway, so they're no help. The store the fish came from "may" have bigger males but wont take the one I've got back due to "contamination issues" so I'm out of luck there! The only other fish shop that I know of "near" me is about 300km's away, so that's out too!

I'm stuck with him, which is fine, he'll either live or not. If he doesn't then I'll look at getting the shop I go to to order me in a bigger one, when I get my nice new big tank, although they're not even very reliable when it comes to ordering fish either!

I would really like an answer to my cave question tho.

"Breeding caves!

I have a couple of 7cm (2 3/4") terra cotta pots at one end of the tank, do I need to "close" off the front a bit, as I've read that they don't like to be able to be seen when spawning and when the fry hatch?"

seperate him, and feed him a diet of, earthworms, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and beefheart( helps them grow). Or you can seperate him and feed him normal foods, and it will take longer. Only one thing is for certain, the fish isnt probably going to make it, because of the stressed out behaviour you have desribed. Also, i have responded to the caves post.

seperate him, and feed him a diet of, earthworms, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and beefheart( helps them grow). Or you can seperate him and feed him normal foods, and it will take longer. Only one thing is for certain, the fish isnt probably going to make it, because of the stressed out behaviour you have desribed. Also, i have responded to the caves post.
Thanks for the advice Kribensis12, I saw your post on the breeding cave and asked you for a picture :)

my camer is broken, but when it is working, i will take a pic. I cant take it out, so all you will see is the pvc pipe. I thik the kribs are making magic in there, and i dont want to desturb them.

erm..DONT feed your fish beef heart. Feed them anything else bloodworm, brineshrimp, tubifex etc... Beef heart is extremely unhealthy for fish.

erm..DONT feed your fish beef heart. Feed them anything else bloodworm, brineshrimp, tubifex etc... Beef heart is extremely unhealthy for fish.
He, he, he, it's ok, I had no intention of feeding them beef heart, even if my local butcher did have it, just sounds far to gross to me!

You buy beefheart at you lfs in frozen cubes! And it isn't unhealthy for your fish. If you feed it once a week, it is fine.It promotes growth.

Most reactions

Back