Kribensis and electric blue acara in same aquarium?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pednurkim

Reaction score
I posted in another area about one of my Turquoise rainbowfish having loss of color on his back. It turns out it is the new electric blue acara (2 in. size) biting at his back. He apparently doesn't like Turquoise rainbowfish as he went after another also. I am moving the acara to my 55 gallon aquarium with tiger barbs, silvertipped and serpae tetras. The aquarium also has a Kribensis and BN pleco. Will the Kribensis and acara be ok, or should I move the Kribensis to the 125 gallon with the rainbowfish? That aquarium also has Congo tetras, cherry barbs, 1 pearl gourami, 1 SAE, 2 large peppered corys and 2 BN. I really want the Kribensis to be ok. Thanks for any advise.

I expect the kribensis will beat up on and terrorize the gourami and cherry barbs. The acara will keep growing and go after those smaller than it as it ages.

If there are no other cichlids in the rainbowfish tank, move the Kribensis in there and move the acara into the smaller tank.

I have kribensis with rainbows and cherry barbs, they're absolutely fine. The gourami inhabits the top part of the tank whilst the kribs inhabit the bottom, I would say they'd be fine together as they each have their own space

Habitat. Both kribs and acaras need 'ground' to live on, and both will claim breeding territory on the bottom of the tank. In the wild, that can be a few square metres. So their needs collide and the tank becomes a stressful battle zone.

Each species needs its own tank, however you decide to arrange that.

Kribs/pulcher need room, and the only way they terrorize tankmates is if we put them into a tank that's too small when they go into breeding mode. In a proper set up, these Central/West African Cichlids chase other fish out of their breeding turf. An exception could be fish like cherry barbs those, as they occupy the same niche as kribs in their Asian habitat. They like to hang around the bottom of the tank, and are not a fish I would keep with any Cichlid.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back