Koi staying down bottom of pond

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Deano46

Reaction score
Hi all, any advice gratefully received.
We have a koi approx 13x 7x5 foot deep. Have approx 20-25 koi varying in size from 6 to 15 inch, all feeding and looking good apart from 1 big girl who has been lying in one place for a couple of weeks. She will move backwards and at various times throughout the day she swims around normally.... but always goes back to the same place.
We change approx 10% every month with trickle feed back into pond. Since the ko's sickness no water changes but approx 10 day's ago we added salt to pond which has not made any change to sick koi.
Two days ago we added Blagdon treatment for parasites, etc.
Koi in question is too large to put into a holding vat.
HELP!!

Attachments

• IMG-20210820-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210820-WA0004.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 25
Hi all, any advice gratefully received.
We have a koi approx 13x 7x5 foot deep. Have approx 20-25 koi varying in size from 6 to 15 inch, all feeding and looking good apart from 1 big girl who has been lying in one place for a couple of weeks. She will move backwards and at various times throughout the day she swims around normally.... but always goes back to the same place.
We change approx 10% every month with trickle feed back into pond. Since the ko's sickness no water changes but approx 10 day's ago we added salt to pond which has not made any change to sick koi.
Two days ago we added Blagdon treatment for parasites, etc.
Koi in question is too large to put into a holding vat.
HELP!!
Hello. I keep an outdoor pond. No Koi, but I have 15 or so larger Goldfish. I can tell you that these Carp produce a large amount of waste and small water changes don't keep the water clean enough for them. I change half the water every few days and feed a little a couple of times a week. The fish hobby is 100 percent about keeping the water as close to nitrogen free as possible. If you don't the fishes' immune system is weakened and eventually some bacteria that lives in all tanks will infect them.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Does the fish still eat well?
Do the fish get any plant matter in their diet?
Goldfish and Koi carp need plant matter in their diet. This can be from live aquatic plants or vegetables like spinach. Just make sure they are free of chemicals.

What is the water temperature?
Is the pond in shade all day?
Did the fish use to swim in the upper parts of the pond before this started?

--------------------

If the fish eats well but just goes to one particular spot to rest, that isn't too much of an issue. It might have health issues but generally if fish eat well, they aren't that sick.

If the water is really cold, it might be waiting for the warmer weather before it starts spending time closer to the surface. If it was attacked by a bird or animal, that might encourage it to hide at the bottom.

Big regular water changes can sometimes help, especially if the water quality has deteriorated.
Have you checked the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the pond water?

Is there a filter on the pond?
If there's no filter and no live plants, you might have an ammonia reading, which is affecting the fish.

From experience, it could also be swimbladder problem. I had something similar with two females in the past. They do swim from time to time but mostly stayed at the bottom. And yes, those swam also backwards from time to time.

Sorry taking so long to reply, log on issues!!!
Pond has frequent water changes, has a filter system which is for a pond 5000 litres bigger than I have.
We did try the swim bladder treatment and also salt at different times but still resting .
We have pond plant's in big tubs as koi can't get to the actual plants but roots help take out nitrites. What veg can I give?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back