Kitty Tetras?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Saedcantas

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hiya guys,

We've had a tank full of "Kitty Tetras" in stock at work for a month or so now, I'd been hankering after some of the cute little guys so yesterday I brought 6 of them home with me.

They dont really appear to be actual Kitty Tetras, Hyphessobrycon loweae But I'm unsure so I thought I'd run it by you lot :good:

They're all around the same size at 1.5cm, the males are more yellow in the body while the females are silver. They have a tiny area of red at the top of each eye and a black dot at the tailbase followed by two smaller white spots either side. There is no real colour to the finnage, the orange appearance in some of my pictures is more to do with the colour of the water, however the males do seem to have a very tiny amount of a reddish tint to some of their fins.

Anyway here's some pictures;
kitty2.jpg

kitty8.jpg

kitty10.jpg

kitty7.jpg

The only pictures I have found that seem truly similar are the google image results for "Hyphessobrycon elachys" and in particular the pictures on This Page. Although, I suspect those ones are misidentified in the first place :rolleyes: :)

Anyway, comments welcome. They're a ton of tiny cute fun whatever they are :wub:
Lotte***

They do indeed :good:

It's hard to see how teeny they really are with those other pics, so here's one of a "kitty" next to a rummy nose and a cardinal tetra...

sizecomparison.jpg

Hey guys,

My Kitty tetras have been settling in for a week or two now and have relaxed in the bigger new tank. I upped their numbers to 10 as I couldnt bare to miss out on as many of them as I could get :blush:

So anyway, they've all coloured up fantastically now and look a yellow/gold similar to that of mature male silver tip tetras :good:

I popped a Tabimin in the tank to get them all gathered where I could photograph them easily B)
kitty.jpg

kitty1.jpg

kitty2.jpg

kitty3.jpg

kitty4.jpg

Just thought I'd show the little cuteys off :D
Lotte***

Most reactions

Back