Kissing gouramis

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

patchwork_python

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some thoughts from people who have owned Kissing Gouramis. Some of the wild type have just come up for sale, and I had been thinking about getting some for a few years now. The pink ones are nice, but I prefer more natural fish and I think the wild type is stunning!

So anyway, I am wondering what the social structure of these fish are and how many should be housed per tank? Do they behave like cichlids to some extent, buy half a dozen youngsters and let them pair off? Or do I treat them like the honey and tricogaster gouramis and buy at least 2 females to one male? Or should I just get as many as the tank will comfortably hold and let them sort out a social structure? Is there any reliable way to sex them, other than looking for mature females full of eggs? The fish on sale are about a couple of inches or so, too small to sex I would have thought. How many would you go for ideally?

Surprised there isn't more written about their behaviour, they seem like a really interesting fish. Any stories you care to share about them would be lovely. :D Also, how big is everyone's? There seems to be a huge range of sizes quoted for these fish, would be nice to hear first hand what an average is. Nonetheless I do have the facilities to care for them even if they do grow large, I am just curious as to how large that might be! :lol:

Thanks folks!

Netti

Most reactions

Back