(Kind Of)New To The Hobby - Decision Of Tank Size

ashcole1989

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Good Morning all!

So here I am looking for some advice! I'll give a bit of background first!

I've been looking at keeping tropical fish again for a few months now, and have been researching a considerable amount this past week or so. My Dad kept tropical fish for over 10 years, and now currently has a koi pond home to around 18 koi, to which he has had for the past 8 years or so now. Pre-teens I kept a fairly small tropical tank, from what I remember I had a handful of neon tetras, a Betta, and a Kuhli loach. It's likely I had a few others but I really don't remember it that well!

Thus, with some little knowledge from my younger days, the research I've done (mainly on cycling to begin with), and the knowledge my dad has to offer (which is far more extensive than I first thought), I thought I'd get some second opinions and more up to date advice!

So my main predicament sits with what size tank to go for! I'm restricted slightly as at first my Girlfriend was willing for a small tank, (30l tops) yet the more I look, the bigger and more expensive I seem to go!
I started out with looking at the Fluval Edge tanks and Love Fish Panorama tanks, to which I've quickly moved on from! Following this I took a look at Juwel tanks, which are a little out of my budget and as my first starter tank, a little too big! I've taken a look at the Aquastart 500 also.

However, after a lot of looking around, I'm looking at the Marina Style 60 and the Marina Style 95, both of which look the same yet the 95 is larger by 20cm in width; 60l (60cm x 30cm x 35cm) vs 95l (80cm x 30cm x 35cm). The price difference isn't too much, although I'm more swayed by the 60; reasons consist of fits better for the space I have, cheaper to start with, could serve as a nice smaller second tank if the hobby becomes an obsession, and filter provided with the bundle appears sufficient (Marina slim line S15 with the 60, S20 with the 95, both external filters).
The bundle I've been looking comes with filter (S15/S20), heater (Marina 100w heater), 15w/20w flourescent bulb and a digital thermometer. Also included is a fairly nice cabinet designed for this tank thrown in for free!

So back the decision of size! As I've said I'm looking at the 60l to begin with. I'm hoping to put in a handful of guppies (around 5), a good handful of cardinals (upto 10), and then a few peppered corries. Alongside these a nice few display plants, maybe a few live ones, and a center piece ornament (sunken ship or something like that).

So the real question that would sit here is would a 60l tank be sufficient for what I'm looking at doing?

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions you may have for me! I'm greatly looking forward to starting up an aquarium again and sharing my experiences and enjoyment!

I think before anyone can give you proper opinions, you need to decide how many or each fish you are wanting. Are you getting male and female guppies or all same gender? If a mixture I would go for bigger tank in case they breed. I found that out the hard way ;)

From what i have read (I'm thinking of getting guppies) its is advised that you allow 1 gallon per guppy, so of whatever tank you are using. 1 gallon is nearly 5l, so 25l for 5 guppies, 30l for 6 guppies, which would be half your tank space in a 60l.

Dont know much about cardinals, but most things i see advise to get neon tetra instead as they are more hardy for the beginners. 

Hope this helps a little x

Hey thanks for the reply!

Well I'd like the option to put more fish in over time, although I'd be happy with what I've previously mentioned so far. 1 male 3 females appears to be the way for guppies, and I've seen the stories about them breeding! (To which I'm happy to approach with a little caution) although if going with same sex for a beginner is better I'd take that approach!

I'm torn on cardinals vs neons a little as I prefer the full blue on the cardinals apposed to the silver on the neons, although again happy to change my approach.

So lets say I'm looking at:
4 guppies
6-10 neon/cardinals
2 cory

Is this enough for a 60l? I'm still swaying that way :) (the boss would prefer 60 over 95 lol)

Thanks for the reply Starrygirl x

Ash

Welcome to TFF! Before starting to think about which fish species exactly you want, you should know what kind of water you can offer them (pH, hardness, temp). For infos on a certain species I would recommend this site. I allways recommend to think as big as you can especially if you want to add more fish
yes.gif
If price is an issue there is a lot of good and cheap second hand stuff around. And be aware that those 60l are brutto, in fact you will only have about 50l or less water in it. With such a tank you should go for a small cory species. Also use sand as substrate. And corys like to schoal, they should be keept in a group of at least six. I would not recommend to keep guppys in this tank as numbers will get quickly out of hand.

Thanks for the reply!
From what I'm aware of the water here is fairly average, with a fairly neutral pH. My dad has no issue with the water for his pond.
I'm trying to be sensible about the size I buy, and as said the girlfriend will have to approve, so having an idea of what I'd like to keep I think is a logical place to start.

Thankfully price isn't too much of an issue; I'd prefer cheaper however I'd rather get it right. There is very little second hand stuff available around me (30 mile radius) but I'm happy to buy new; plus aquatic shop knowledge and support may be handy; they have already offered to sort me out some filter media :)

Thanks for the info on corys, the more I'm looking the more I'm seeing sand> gravel and groups of 6+.
I've also read a lot on guppies and understand they really are horny buggers! Maybe a school of one sex would be better to start out with?

Finally I've also been looking at shrimp over corys for my bottom feeders, although they are notorious to climb out of your tank and the tank I'm looking at now has holes in the lid at the back for an external filter.

Thanks again!

This sounds like a fun project, i am glad you are taking the approach of seeking advice first before actually purchasing anything. Good on you.

Bascially a 60l / 16 gal tank is pretty much the minimum size id consider for a beginner even though you have had tanks in the past before with your dad. I think this is a decent little size to start of with to get the basics of fish keeping to a decent standard then go large afterward if you have the space, time and budget.

With any smaller tank it may require more dedication and vigilance in order to keep water parameters at a steady level, so 60l is fine IMHO.

Of course you will need a list of all other things you'll need if you have not already got these, liquid or power water testing kit, ammonia if doing fishless cycle, dechlorinated, buckets etc etc etc 

As for stocking suggestions, if you are going for guppies, i would go for all males rather than a mix of genders, as you've already mentioned, just to stop from overstocking your tank if they breed. The males are far more colourful than females anyway.

Cories, do be aware they will be happiest with groups 6+ so take that into consideration as well when doing stocking calculations.

ashcole1989 said:
Finally I've also been looking at shrimp over corys for my bottom feeders, although they are notorious to climb out of your tank and the tank I'm looking at now has holes in the lid at the back for an external filter.

Shrimps like RCS are not notorious for climbing out of tanks, not too sure where you heard of this. 
Really, the only time shrimps will climb or attempt to climb out of tank is when theres something wrong with the water quality, such as copper for example, or if theres predation then shrimp will race about everywhere in attempt to find safe water and in desperation may climb out of the tank.

The only thing i can think of being notorious climbers out of tank may be something like Nerite Snails, they are pretty good at escaping from tank but I think only if they are not happy with water conditions.

Hey Ch4lie thanks for the reply!

It's reasuring to know that all my research and forward planning will pay off, and also appears to be a good approach to, albeit a long time, re-introduction to the hobby. I see no point jumping in head first when there is such an amazing community out there willing to help out if you just ask.

I'm pleased to hear an approval for the 60l size also! As I said money isn't too much of an issue and I'll like to get it right to start out with. After all, I am only looking to keep 2-3 species in a small community, then possibly go bigger if I enjoy it, can afford it and have the time.
I think I'm set on the Marina Style 60, complete with cabinet, filter, heater and lightning. Again another reason to buy a full setup from my local, IMO rather good, aquatic centre (Wharf Aquatic, Pinxton), as I'll pick up a decent testing kit, dechlorination etc. when I buy my tank :) Buckets I didn't think of so thanks for that one! :D

Again the mroe I read and research, plus getting advice, a group of male guppies definitely seem the way to go once I'm ready to get some fish in my tank. I've looked a lot into how to cycle my tank so I feel I'm pretty clued up on that front - again Dads support may prove beneficial here! 

Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding on the shrimp thing. I've not looked too much into them, and I guess I need to get past the surface horror stories of people loosing them from climbing their filter and taking a sky dive out the back. I Think I'd prefer small gravel over sand, so some more research into Shrimps is on my to do list. I just really like them peppered cories! :p

Thanks again for the all advice and information! I'm really getting excited about my (kind of)new venture!

Hi Charlie,
I was just wondering if you had some advice on threadfin rainbowfish. I've noticed you've got some and after having a quick look I'm really intrigued by them!

Looking to get an idea of shoal sizes and possible tank mates. I'll be getting a 60l (15g~ 60x30x35cm tank lxwxh) later this week :)

Thanks again!

Ash

Yeah, I do have Threadfin rainbow fish and great characters they are too, love to watch them flare all the time.

For your tank size, I'd suggest up to 10 Threadfins with maybe shrimps and snails (which incidentally is exactly what i have!) 

Threadfins do best in a species only tank as they can be skittish and school tightly if feel threatened, so in a single species tank you'll see the best behaviours this way.

Here is some info on them.

http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Werneri.htm

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/iriatherina-werneri/

Thanks yet again for some great info!

I'll be spending a bit more time looking into them. It's definitely a difficult decision to be made and until I finally have a stocked tank I don't think I'll really know.

I've ruled out a handful of fish I would have liked (harlequin rasbora for example) due to my decisions on tank size, substrate etc. You've still got to provide the best conditions you can to suit your fish :)

Thanks again for the links I'll get reading :D

Most reactions

Back