Killifish ! Killifish!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

All is not yet lost. Miraculously fate has abruptly changed in my favor. I will not have to endure exile in Texas this winter. :) I have just now e-mailed my Killifish lady to see if she can ship before winter and she is going to do it this week. :) My heart soars like an eagle !

Cock-A-Doodle-Doo ! ! ! The mailman just now delivered my Aphyosemion gardneri (Rayfield). I am drip acclimating them right now and will post pictures when they settle in. The male is beautiful. Amazing how fish can go through that shipping ordeal and look so good. The lady who sent them had an ultimate insulated shipping box. She knows her business.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Wish I was a better picture taker. Here is the male. Maybe I'll get some better pictures. The female is slightly larger and looks an awful lot like an anemic female guppy. I am having a lot of fun learning about Killies and seeing fish in the tank at last is awesome to say the least.

Beautiful fish. Can’t wait to see more pictures and hopefully fry pictures in the future. That yellow is striking in the second photo.

Colin always says to put a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure. Just now I put black construction paper on the back and one side of my Killie tank. Shazam ! Instant and immediate change in the whole dynamic. The fish exhibited very apparent spawning behavior within minutes. Totally blew me away. I have never seen anything like that happen so soon. Another benefit is that the tank looks more like real underwater. When Colin says do something, well then, do it. Also, Byron always says give the fish what they need and things work out well. He is absolutely correct. These guys are like the TFF Forums version of Charles Schwab. When they talk we should listen. My experience today proves that. Thank you gentlemen.

Is it bad I keep stalking this thread for more pictures? Bwahaha. C’mon where is the picture with the new background on it?! Seriously though, I’m really excited to see more killifish pictures.

Is it bad I keep stalking this thread for more pictures? Bwahaha. C’mon where is the picture with the new background on it?! Seriously though, I’m really excited to see more killifish pictures.
I really am trying. The little sods will not cooperate. Since I've had them awhile the male has turned out to be nothing short of stunning. The color is so vivid and intense. Unlike almost any other tropical fish. Keep checking. I will get them to pose.

:rip: NOOO!!!!! The unimaginable has happened. The female perished this morning. Why ? I don't know. Everything was going so well. She was eating and frolicking and looking so good and then SUFD. Sudden Unexplainable Fish Death. But, like the rodeo cowboy who gets bucked off and the mountain climber who falls, I get back up and look back up. Maybe I can get a replacement female in the spring. I've just missed the shipping season of March 15 through November 1st. I'll find out. Not just any female will do. It must be the Rayfield strain. According to the AKA Code of Ethics no hybridization and I support that fully. But, I didn't have all my ducks in a row. I should have sprung for two pairs or at least a trio in case of this eventuality. Also, I was running around like a fiend getting my spawning mops and microworm and vinegar eel cultures going. Things I should have already had done. Does this deter me. Emphatically I say no ! I will spend the time learning all there is to know and having all my preparations made to the utmost degree of detail known to me. But . . . I am just a little bit bummed out. :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back