Killifish ! Killifish!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Your water is fine for killifish and you will probably get lots of male babies due to the pH being above 7.0. Whenever I have kept killifish, Apistogramma dwarf cichlids or rainbowfish in water with a pH above 7.0, I get more male than female young. Which is good because they are more colourful and sell better. :)

View attachment 93502

I went with black sand. I suppose that this is technically not real sand but extra fine decorative aquarium gravel. It looks great contrasted with the driftwood and when I add the plants Tuesday it will look better. The sand is about one inch deep. Gotta look up my city water analysis. Temperature is 76 degrees. I really had fun today.
Looking so nice! Love the wood.

Thank you for that link Byron. That's pretty brainy and technical for me but it does explain some things I wasn't sure about. I was able to comprehend some of it.

Last edited:
Are they home yet? Also, I thought there was a Betta in your tank. I was really confused for a few seconds there. Looks really good, hope to see pictures of your new fish soon!

Are they home yet? Also, I thought there was a Betta in your tank. I was really confused for a few seconds there. Looks really good, hope to see pictures of your new fish soon!
Nope. They have not yet arrived. My Betta is in his own 2 1/2 gallon and a brand new 5 gallon sits awaiting my gardneri. Now I have to set my 20 up for fry raising.

Well, the unimaginable has happened. I was hoping upon hope that it would not happen but fate has conspired against me. She who must be obeyed is absolutely adamant that we are going to be snowbirds in Hico Texas this winter. I originally thought I could take my fish with me but upon further consideration I feel it may not be smart. The Killies still have not come and I contacted the sender. She forgot about it as she is in the process of moving from Arizona to Tennessee. So I asked to have the fish next April. She was happy about that and I don't have to worry about killing my own fish with the trauma of a 1400 mile drive. So, I'll take my Betta and my plants with me and hope that six months and 2800 miles pass quickly. The idea of living in a 31 foot tin can for six months is not palatable but, oh well, huh ? The best laid plans of mice and men . . . .

Billy Carter ? Yeah, this is a little tiny town of about 1500 people roughly 100 miles southwest of Dallas. At least I'll miss the snow and cold this year. Going to be on a small hobby ranch five miles out of there. And they do have a nice pond. But, too assuage my anguish, I have exacted a solemn promise that I get to have one of the spare bedrooms as a dedicated fish room upon our return. At least I get that one small victory.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back