Killifish & House Flies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Amunet

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
We've been getting a ridiculous amount of flies in the house since we've moved in, and yesterday, I started to stun or kill flies and feed them to one of the killifish.
He eats them with gusto, but I'm wondering how often I should give these to him?
In total, think I've given him 5 so far.

Should it be an every once in a while kind of thing, or would giving him 1 every day (if we have that many), be ok?

As long as the flies are free of any chemicals/ pesticides, you can feed them to all your fish every day. Give them flake or pellet food in the morning and bugs at night. You can even collect the flies in a jaw and freeze them for later on.

Alrighty :)

We don't use bug spray
I've just been swatting the flies with something flimsy enough to kill or stun them, but not enough to smoosh them to a mushy gross mess heh

Lol, I do the same thing. Must be careful not to hit them too hard otherwise they are gross to pick up. And if you don't hit em hard enough they get up and fly away. I also fed aphids, mozzies and mozzie larvae, flying ants and ant eggs when I find them.

We had a minor ant problem but have since gotten rid of them. Didn't even think to feed them to the fish. I definitely will though if I see any more :D

You can feed all manner of terrestial insects to your Killifish.
Whilst visiting Australia this past couple of years Col, I was amazed at the amount of insects and ants about, a Killifish larder on your doorstep.
Regards
BigC

Insects are a big part of their natural diet. I keep having them drown in a small cup of water I keep above my tank. I just suck them up with an oral syringe and feed them to my killies. I have a hermit crab habitat in my room so I have lots at the moment.

You can feed all manner of terrestial insects to your Killifish.
Whilst visiting Australia this past couple of years Col, I was amazed at the amount of insects and ants about, a Killifish larder on your doorstep.
Regards
BigC
what season did you vist australia in?
in summer the flies reach a peak population making them a great snack for fish (i used to feed my gold perch, australian bass and barramundi insects in the summer alas those days are gone...) i might start feeding my blue panchax killi some flies...

KOTP

possibly end of Summer beginning of Autumn, somewhere in or around there.( April/May)
Stayed with relatives in Eaglby (between Brissie and Surfers) Comming over again in a couple of years, Absolutely love the place.
Ants were the delicacy of the day in that location at that particular time of the year. Oh and the mossies when the sun went down.
Regards
Bigc

possibly end of Summer beginning of Autumn, somewhere in or around there.( April/May)
Stayed with relatives in Eaglby (between Brissie and Surfers) Comming over again in a couple of years, Absolutely love the place.
Ants were the delicacy of the day in that location at that particular time of the year. Oh and the mossies when the sun went down.
Regards
Bigc

if you do come again go try the great ocean road, great sights and great fishing if your into that. Requires a fair bit of traveling but its worth it in the end so i highly recommend it for your next visit
unfotunately you cant see all of australia in one trip, you have to come back again and again
but be weary of the heat and the flies in summer
i have done it myself

KOTP

Hi sorry to hi jack your threqd a little.

I was just wondering if bugs can only be fed to this kind of fish or can you feed them to other kinds to?

What kinds of bugs can you feed other than flies and ants. how about little spiders?

Cheers

Ally

if you do come again go try the great ocean road, great sights and great fishing if your into that. Requires a fair bit of traveling but its worth it in the end so i highly recommend it for your next visit
unfotunately you cant see all of australia in one trip, you have to come back again and again
but be weary of the heat and the flies in summer
i have done it myself
Cheers KOTP
OH we are planning as we speak. 2010 Will be the next time we're able to get over (all being well).
Managed to get up as far as Hervey Bay this time. But it no use travelling back to base each time. I was thinking or hiring a motor home for the next excursion.
and just keep on trucking.
I/We have fallen in love with the country/ its people and its good old down to earth honesty. Wish we'd done this years ago.
Amazing place not to mention watching Rugby League 24/7.
Regards
BigC

Hi sorry to hi jack your threqd a little.

I was just wondering if bugs can only be fed to this kind of fish or can you feed them to other kinds to?

What kinds of bugs can you feed other than flies and ants. how about little spiders?

Cheers

Ally

i also feed woodlice (small ones not the adults) ants, worms (make sure they empty themselves of earth before feeding) maggots, spiders, craneflys etc etc
would be wary of any hard shelled bugs though incase the fish choke or they cause a blockage

What kinds of bugs can you feed other than flies and ants. How about little spiders?
Insects can be fed to any fish but a lot of big predatory fish won't eat them because they are too small. However, most general community fish will eat them. I even have a clownfish that is currently being fed on aphids, (I ran out of fish food and the roses are covered in aphids, so waste not want not).
Most insects are fine but avoid any that are known to be dangerous or poisonous, (some spiders, stink bugs and most caterpillas). Generally if you stay with flies, mozzies & larvae, aphids, small ants or ant eggs, (including termites), flour weevils, beetles & moths, and small soft mealworms, you should be fine. Many of these can be cultured at home in containers so you have a steady supply. Grindle, white worms and small earthworms can also be cultured and fed to most fish.
Just make sure any insects used are free of chemicals and haven’t been exposed to poisons or bates.

I/We have fallen in love with the country/ its people and its good old down to earth honesty. Wish we'd done this years ago.
LOL
Good thing you didn't come around here. The place is full of crooks and shady characters, and most of them are politicians and council workers :) Watch out for that in Queensland too. The current affairs TV shows are always running reports on Queensland councils being greedy and revenue raising via parking fines and stupid acts. Tonight they showed the local council ranger parked in a "No Parking" bay for over an hour while he went around writing parking tickets for everyone else.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back