Kiillifish Eggs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Neomeris

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I know that some killifish lay eggs in peat that can be stored out of water for up to a year and then hatched when place in water. What kind of killifish lay eggs like these? Just wondering if somebody had a list.

I don't know what exact killifish lay these, but the name of the group of species that do lay eggs like that are called "annual" killifish. They lay gags like these due to living in temporary pond that are dry one time of the year and filled up the other time of the year, because of it being dry they have to lay eggs to suit these conditions

Hello my name is Dave. I have been breeding and keeping killifish for about 28 years. Off and on. I can tell you that almost all killifish will lay eggs in peat moss. You can also use whats called a spawning mop. They will lay there eggs in it and after about a month in water will start to hatch. There is some that have to spawn in peat moss and then dry out a bit. Some of the eggs need to stay that way for up to 5 years. Hope this helps.

Northobranchus species are the most common killifish on the market that reproduce in that fashion, but there are many many others. I've had them before, but they didnt hatch successfully for me at the time and I havent had a chance at them for a couple years now as I was taking a break from the hobby due to the economy.

Hey Dave have you been active in the online fish community for a while? Maybe the AKA website? Your name looks familiar. I've been in the hobby 17 years now and killies are one of my fav species.

Also check out some of the new South American annuals....some stunning varieties of Simpsonichthys being found of late.
Regards
C

LeviathanGirl, Yes I was a member of the A.K.A. for many years. I also had a fish hatchery back in 1998 to 2001. I had over 300 tanks of Corydoras and killifish. I had a web site called Dave's Corydoras. I had to close down in 2001 due to 9/11 and all the shiping problems. Now that they have let up a bit i am going to try again to get it started. I love raising fish and helping others. Thanks, Dave

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back