Keyhole Cichlid Tankmates

randallhart

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well I am going to place an order at my lfs for a pair of keyhole cichlids an was wondering what medium sized cichlid could be placed with them?

Well I am going to place an order at my lfs for a pair of keyhole cichlids an was wondering what medium sized cichlid could be placed with them?

This realy deppends on the size of your tank. Keyholes do best in a tank with few other chichlds, so if it is a small tank, you may only get the pair of keyholes in there, with other none-cichlid tankmates. For larger tanks with plenty of cover, you may consider a pair of rams. I advise caution with this however, as in a small tank, the keyholes may have a go at the rams. I would say 4ft minimum if you intend to place any other cichlids in with the keyholes. This is purely to prevent aggression.
HTH
rabbut

Keyholes are really peaceful so be cautious about putting them with anything aggressive. Mine isn't very big yet, but would much rather flee than fight back when the dwarf gourami goes after it. In fact it holds back during the feeding frenzy instead of barging in, and only uses it's size to intimidate other fish away from it's pea treat. The only thing I've ever seen it nip was the ghost shrimp I put in the tank (which it did kill & eat btw), and that may be due to the fact that I give dried kill as treats.

Obviously my personal experience with them is limited to my own who isn't fully grown yet, but I would advise holding off on aggressive tank mates until you know that yours can stand up for themselves.

Add the keyholes first.. let them ''own'' the tank, then add other fish. Keyholes can be very timid when put in a new environment with ''established'' fish.

Rainbow cichlids should work.. festivum should work.. cant really think of any other cichlids that would be good with them..

Maybe blue acara?

Anything you had in mind?

And Rabut, its a 55 gallon tank.

Add the keyholes first.. let them ''own'' the tank, then add other fish. Keyholes can be very timid when put in a new environment with ''established'' fish.

Rainbow cichlids should work.. festivum should work.. cant really think of any other cichlids that would be good with them..

Vancouver gave good advise when he instructed you to add keyholes first. They are a very timid cichlid, so adding them first would give them the best possible chance of feeling secure in their new home. After adding the keyholes, I would add all other none-cichlid tankmates. Leave them at this point for a few weeks, without adding any more fish. This will let your keyholes get used to the other ocupants, and realise that they are no threat. Then you could add your other cichlids.
A guide would be one chichlid of their type for every 10 gal of tank volume. This would give a total of five cichlids. Take two keyholes off that and you are left with space for three more. This guide is to prevent any aggression between cichlids, rather than an amount of bio-load they use, so stock your other fish, according to in inches not used by the cichlids in the inch per gallon rule. Don't tank the inch per gallon rule as law though, as it only surgests the maximum stocking dencity.
I have no experience with Rainbow cichlids, so cannot advise on their compatibility or size. I would however follow up vancouver's surgestion. Break the lines of sight within your tank as this will reduce teritoiality between occupants and give bullied fish places to hide from their aggressor.
HTH
rabbut

Thank you both so much.

And Vancouver, I have blue acaras exactly on my mind. I didn't think the two could live together. Do you think Chocolate cichlids could work? And I have plenty of driftwood and plants in the tank so the all have places to hide.

I've only had 1 chocolate cichlid, and it's kinda aggressive.. They might be too aggressive for keyholes, but I'm not positive.

It would be best to add a small/young one if you're going to try it.

I already have two angels in the tank whom are not full grown yet. I guess great minds think alike, huh nelly? :lol:

They rarely get festivums around here. You have to be lucky and hope they get some. What about rainbow cichlids?

Add the keyholes first.. let them ''own'' the tank, then add other fish. Keyholes can be very timid when put in a new environment with ''established'' fish.Rainbow cichlids should work.. festivum should work.. cant really think of any other cichlids that would be good with them..Maybe blue acara?Anything you had in mind?
I agree, I let my keyholes in my tank first and I've added my puffers and they're fine, not shy or timid at all.a pair is a good choice! cockatoo cichlids have been known to have done well with keyholes, but adding other cichlids may make them shy, even though they grow larger than cockatoos and rams. good luck

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back