keeping shrimps

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SeanTrollope

Fish Addict
Reaction score
ive always been told that shrimp are very sensitive and tricky to keep. is this true and what does it take to keep them.

It depends on the species of shrimp, and how highly bred they are.

Some, like the red cherry shrimps are easy, but rili shrimps (which a colour morph of the cherry) are a bit harder and crystal/bee shrimps are harder again.

Shrimp are more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite than most fish, so your tank needs to be properly cycled, and they need very stable water conditions, so if you can have the tank up running and planted for month or two before you add them, that's even better.

okay so i will probably do red cherries. can they go with dwarf puffers or not. it will be a 45 l tank. fully planted ect.

Last edited:
Definitely not with dwarf puffers, unless you want very expensive meals for the puffers and lots of dismembered shrimps...

right okay. advice noted. what other small fish (NOT A BETTA) can be kept in this size tank with shrimp.

What are the dimensions of the tank, and is your water hard or soft?

i have forgotten the exact dimensions but its around 40 cm long is about 45 l and is more or less square at the sides.

the water is slightly hard.

Dwarf puffers will very likely make snacks out of any shrimps really, especially baby shrimps but the adult shrimps may be ok depending on specie type of shrimp provided there are hiding places and plants etc (java moss is especially good baby shrimps).

But even then I would not really risk having any specie of shrimp with dwarf puffers at all.

Generally speaking, ALL fish will eat shrimps, after all its a natural food source for fish in the wild. Trick is to find certain species of fish that may leave shrimsp alone, ie fish with small mouths such as Celestial Pearl Danios but even they will snack on a baby shrimps given the chance but they will leave the aduts well alone due to the size and speed of the shrimps (shrimps sure can move pretty darn fast when they need to :lol: )

But if youre after setting a shrimps only tank, as Fluttermoth already mentioned, an established tank will do best, a tank thats been running for a month ot two at least but I'd say 3 month or more with livestock and plants is the ideal starter for shrimps really.

And then starting with Red Cherry Shrimps as they are more forgiving to water parameters compared to riili or crystals etc. Once more experienced with shrimps and learning what they need and how they survive, you then can perhaps start looking into the more sensitive species such as rilli or very high grades of shrimps, remember, the higher the grade, the more expensive and sensitive these shrimps will be.

Shrimps do not need high filtration and a simple sponge filter with airline will suffice really, a 3 gallon tank will work but remember the smaller the tank, the more likely water parameter fluctuations may be, but a 5 gal tank does nicely for a shrimps only tank with some nice wood and plants and the addition of some snails will help add a little variety.

I have a little 5 gallon tank with some low grade cherries and 4 fully grown amano shrimps with a variety of snails. Couple of nice pieces of bogwood, anubias, java fern and balansae crypts, a powered sponge filter, a 3w LED tube, nice little lively tank that has nice plant growth. I add a little plant ferts once a week, feed th shrimps with a variety of food, normal fish food, algae wafers, melon, peas, a treat of frozen food once a month are a few examples of what I normally feed, also as another treat some aramanth or even mulberry leaves is something they go crazy for as a treat once in a while. Also the addition of capatta leaves is good for them.

Shrimp Tank - I like it!.jpg 09.jpg

Water in Rand Water’s area of supply ranges from 60 to 110 mg/lCaCO3, thus we have a moderately soft to slightly hard water.

that is the most detailed one i can find for out area. i do know that our water is on the harder side as we get a bit of limescale buildup

One key thing to keep an eye on is the GH (general hardness) of the water. Many shrimp are found in water with a hardness of 3 to 6. If you drop below 3 your shrimp may not be able to molt and will die. If the water gets too hard again they my not be able to molt. People with difficult to keep shrimp used RO water and remineralize it with Sachem Equilibrium. Depending on stocking in the tank and other factors RO tanks need iodine supplements added to avoid iodine deficiency in shrimp. Shrimp get Lethargic when they are deficient in iodine.

Many people heavily plant their shrimp tank to provide the shrimp hiding places. Shrimp do well when fish cannot find them. Foreground coving plants such as dwarf hair grass, moss are good choices. When working with RO and plants make sure you cover all of the nutrients plants need otherwise they will not grow. Many aquarium fertilizers are deficient in Calcium, sulfur, and chlorine. Apparently many fertilizer manufactures assume tap water and soil have enough of these. But aquariums with RO water tanks will not . Sachem Equilibrium provides Calcium and sulfur.

Another thing i have found helpful is to slightly over feed your shrimp or feed them a little less more frequently . If they are not hungry they are less likely to bother the shrimp.

Many people try to avoid fertilizers without copper because capper compounds can be toxic to fish and shrimp. However plants will not grow without copper.. Most shrimp safe fertilizers do have copper and are safe. If the copper concentration in water stays below 10 parts per Billion (PPB) , shrimp will do well. Typically fertilized RO water will have copper at 3 PPB or less.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back