Kebensis Has Eye Problem Please Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ollyurz

Reaction score
Please can someone help my fish has a lump on its eye it's pink an raised a few mm , looks painful but fish seems to be swimming fine although hiding under bridge which is not like him , I don't want to lose the fish if possible water is fine had it tested at local pet shop , please see attached and help if you can.

Hello!,

Hmm I don't quite see the attachment. Maybe there was an error? 

What was the parameters of the water exactly if you can remember? Usually pet shops in the US (Petco/petsmart)  give you a sheet saying what all of the test results were. They usually do strip tests but a liquid test would be far more accurate, so if possible maybe you could get a  liquid test kit.

Try to get the picture up and we'll be able to help further! :)

Best of luck!

sorry image wouldnt upload on this site due to the size, these links should work.
in the UK they just tell you the water is fine and give you details when it isnt so i can assure you the water is in good condition 

Looks like it could be a case of infected single eye popeye (normal popeye shows white tissue popping out). Being a single eye, the cause is more likely to be an injury from hitting something sharp in the tank, or being attacked by a tankmate.

If it is popeye, one option is to isolate the the fish and gradually build up the concentration of Epsom Salt over a number of days, which will draw water out of the fish and help the swelling stop increasing in size (and in time help healing). Combined with a general anti-bacterial medication like Esha 2000 or Myxazin, this should hopefully clear up any infection and then the tissue should start to repair itself over a number of days.

I'm not confident with giving specific dosing specifics of the above, I've only ever used Epsom Salts with Persian Killifish, which are very tolerant of water chemistry changes (so if I recalled rightly, I increased the concentration by 1mg/l per day for three days). I would imagine that 0.5mg/l per day until ~3mg/l is reached would be very safe with Kribs, but this is not something I could guarantee. Don't forget to gradually reduce the concentration of Epsom Salts after the fish is fully recovered, again over a number of days.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back