Juwel Tank And Lifespan Of Seals

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

astenroo

Reaction score
Hi!

I have owned my Juwel Rio 240 tank since spring 2004, and have been wondering about how long the silicone seams/seals will hold. The other day I asked a seller about this, and he said the aquarium has a lifespan of about 10 years. After that I might as well buy me a new one, since resealing the aquarium is more expensive than buying a new one... Ok, I live in Finland, and it is quite an expensive country. Is there any truth in this? Does it actually only have a lifespan of about 10 years?

I do not know that specific aquarium brand, but I am presently using an aquarium with silicone seals that I have had for over 30 years.

Hi!

I have owned my Juwel Rio 240 tank since spring 2004, and have been wondering about how long the silicone seams/seals will hold. The other day I asked a seller about this, and he said the aquarium has a lifespan of about 10 years. After that I might as well buy me a new one, since resealing the aquarium is more expensive than buying a new one... Ok, I live in Finland, and it is quite an expensive country. Is there any truth in this? Does it actually only have a lifespan of about 10 years?

its true, Juwels are known to split. indeed, i had one do it 4 years ago. but i feel its not the Maker, but the design that causes the problem. Juwels have a floating base. (the sides if the tank fit around the base. not sit on, as is more usual.) now, if you have the tanks from new, i don't see it as a problem.(as long as any time you have moved it, you did it empty, and sat the tank on something as you moved it.) but with tanks of, comparatively, unknown history. you have no way of knowing it the base has been stressed.
however, they are braced with plastic, so after 10 years. it may be worth thinking of a change.
I would call Juwel MASS market tank. whilst there is nothing wrong with them (filter and heater excepted). they are not a high quality tank. adequate, would be the best word.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back