Juwel Rio125 - Pump removal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TomF94

Reaction score
Hi, my parents got a Juwel Rio 125 about 2 months ago, but I do all the maintenance and cleaning, I found that they recommend cleaning the pump once a month but I cant figure out how to remove it from the casing. I saw a video of a guy and it appears he just lifted it out using the plastic tab in the corner, but mine seems to be locked in place and I cant figure out if there is a clip or something similar I need to move to get it free. I've looked at the instructions but the step is just along the lines of just lift it out of the casing and not how to do that.

I'm probably just being an idiot, but if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong please let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a Juwel Rio 180 and the internal filter top was simply removed from the top by pulling it off with finger though hole at top.

Top is not locked or clicked into place on mine at all, simply lifts without any effort.

Perhaps yours has been forced into the filter itself or hard water has sealed it somehow and try a little bit of force to see if top of filter simply lifts off.

I have a Juwel Rio 180 and the internal filter top was simply removed from the top by pulling it off with finger though hole at top.

Top is not locked or clicked into place on mine at all, simply lifts without any effort.

Perhaps yours has been forced into the filter itself or hard water has sealed it somehow and try a little bit of force to see if top of filter simply lifts off.
Hey thanks for replying, I can get the top off its the actual pump that I cant lift out of the casing.

242902278_422151469269000_5201882257534276130_n.jpg

I detach the outlet pipe, but I cant lift it out it seems to be latched in.

Oh, your pump on that filter is larger than the pump I have on my filter.

Think may be due to my filter being much newer, only got it last year.

Is the pump attached to the filter case with sucker feet?
Am not too sure tbh

Not sure about sucker feet cant remember seeing anything like that when we put it together, I gave it a bit of a tug but not too hard as didn't want to risk breaking anything. I'll have another look tomorrow. Thanks!

It’s a little bit different to my filter being the pump size.

However there will definitely be a way to get the pump out of the casing as all filters do have ways to come apart for maintenance and cleaning.

There will be a knack to it, just a case of trying what you can and see if there is any sucker feet or clips or tangs somewhere where you can then slip the pump out.

Trail and error I guess.

Once the outlet tube is off you should be able to lift it out as it just sits on the inlet pipe. Try gentle wiggling whilst lifting!

Sorted it, ended up having to take the whole wall/attachment thing off like this

243247107_1286490851813496_8496459664253310646_n.jpg

Then managed to pull it off the inlet, took a bit more force than I expected. Whether that's normal or the seal was unusually tight I'm not sure, but I imagine I'd be able to do it without lifting the whole section out next time now I know how it works.

That looked like it was a bit of a faff to get that out but you managed in the end without damaging the filter which is the main thing.

Glad you managed this and have a good idea of what to do next time.

We’ve all been there at one point or another when comes to fiddly or difficult access to certain tank equipment.

Then managed to pull it off the inlet, took a bit more force than I expected. Whether that's normal or the seal was unusually tight I'm not sure, but I imagine I'd be able to do it without lifting the whole section out next time now I know how it works.
That seal must have been unusually tight. If the tank was second hand the previous owner may have sealed it or neglected maintenance which could have made it crust up.
Hopefully it will be easier next time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back