Juwel Rio 240 . Removing The Wood Effect Surrounds

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tha pint

Reaction score
Hi y'all.

Got a rio240 the other day of gumtree . Everything's great but when I went to remove the internal filter I noticed that the glass behind it isn't sitting flush with the side pane. Its like one of the panes is sitting at a slight angle.The guy told me he broke the brace about a year ago and I don't know if this has maybe pushed it of square . Anyway I want to take all the plastic surround off the top and bottom, strip the sealant off all the glass and rebuild it all back straight again.

The plan is to take a Stanley knife and cut the silicone that's holding the surrounds on . I assume there's just a few blobs here and there holding it on.
Then cut through the seal around the tank to free all the panes of glass. I'm gonna use silicon eater , a dish scrubber sponge and a razor blade to make sure all the silicons removed. I'll make sure any chemicals are cleaned before any fish go near it.
Then simply reapply all the sealant and build the tank back up the way I've seen in the YouTube videos ,let it cure and water test it.

If anyone has any tips or advice or can tell me if anything in the plan is wrong it would be greatly appreciated . I don't want this to go wrong

i'm sorry I have no advice but will be following your post as I wish to move the brace bars on my 400ltr back up to the top instead of them being in view so if you could do a journal type thing I would very much appreciate it, as much as I hate to say it I am a woman and do not have any knowledge in this sort of thing :(

Thats exactly what I'll do. When I start in the next few days I'll take photos each step I take and whack them on here.

This is the first time I'll have done this but I think I know what to do.
where are the brace bars on the 400. On mine it's in the middle of the top surround . On mine I think you clip it under the lip and secure it with superglue.

They look like they used to be hidden by the top surround but have been moved further down (probably to accommodate something) but I plan on having either a hanging light fitting or one that clips onto the back and is suspended that way but they are a real eye sore will see if I can get a pic and you will see exactly what I mean

I think they have moved them further down

You will have to excuse me I have windows 8 on my comp and it is harder to work out than my 4 boys hahaha

the pics are coming I'm just waiting for imgur

But yes they are a lot further down than they should be

xMR1hkN.jpg

oh my goodness I'm sorry its such a big pic it wouldn't even let me type a msg on there sorry hahahahaha

messy too, even more messy now I look at the pics :(

One tip, the sealants that prevent mould and fungus from growing are toxic to fish.

:)
I look forward to seeing your progress!

Think as long as its 100% silicone with nothing else added

Hmm, having had a quick look at some websites, even if you find silicone that says it is 100% silicone, it may still not be safe for use on your tank as it may have mould resistance properties that is toxic to fish.
confused.gif
. UNLESS it is specified for aquarium use.

Here's one from eBay, see what you think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HA6-Marine-silicone-aquarium-water-fish-tank-RTV-translucent-clear-top-quality-/320862461913?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item4ab4e49fd9

Am sure this will be ok to use as it states its for aquariums and at only £3.40 (plus £2.30 for postage!) so thats £5.70 in total, still not a bad price I would say for peace of mind. 
smile.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No probs 
laugh.png
 thats exactly whats this forum is for, to help each other out when we get stuck or have questions.

Do shop around as there may be cheaper ones on sale in eBay or other sites, I just simply typed in 'aquarium silicone' and there was loads that came up.

Am sure you now have the general idea of what you should be using now for your tank.

Good luck with your project 
good.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back