Juwel Rio 180 Lighting Troubles?

Spishkey

Spishkeys Turtle Rescue
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
2,000
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Belgium
had my tank just under a year, for the past few weeks the lights have been 'flickering' on and off. if i wiggled the wire they normally came back on. now they've died totally.

am i right in thinking its most likely a loose wire rather than the tubes going? is this something i can fix myself?


edit - am thinking maybe ive put this in the wrong section too?
 
I had this problem a wee while ago.
I replaced the bulb and hey presto, all fixed. But I wouldnt say for sure that'll work.
In your case it might not be the bulb but the wiring or connection.

I believe that model has too bulbs. Is is just the one flashing or both? If its one I'd suggest taking the other bulb and putting it in that bulbs place.
You should then know the problem. :good:

Hope this helped! :blush:
 
its both the bulbs that flickered on and off leading me to believe a wire has snapped or come loose totally (now that it wont turn on at all)

can i simply buy a need lead and replace the old one?
 
If it's the lighting unit not the bulbs then you'll need to replace it I'm afraid. Juwel tanks are notorious for their lighting units dying just after the guarantee is out of date. Maybe I'm cynical but it seems to happen to all my Juwel tanks,

I found a cheaper and more effective replacement by using separate T8 lighting control units, they cost around half of the Juwel units. It's more hassel because you have to fix the bulbs to the lids but the unit itself sits outside the tank which means it's never in contact with damp so in theory, should last longer. I got the Arcadia Ultraseal unit from www.onlineaquariumstore.com

Hope this helps.
 
its both the bulbs that flickered on and off leading me to believe a wire has snapped or come loose totally (now that it wont turn on at all)

can i simply buy a need lead and replace the old one?

The same thing happened to mine but after replacing the bulb as said above it worked fine (only found this out after forking out £75 for a new light unit :sick: ) So definately try new bulbs - they are always good for spares if it does not work! :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top