Juwel Compact Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

liam74

Reaction score
hi all, i want to know which is the correct way that the foam filters go in, currently the way i have them is

2 X course foam at the bottom
2 X fine filter foam in middle
1 X carbon on top of fine
1 X white pad on top.

i want to know if this is the correct way or have i got it wrong. the filter has been working fine, just curious

tia

liam

I thought that it went- fine pad at the bottom, followed by coarse,carbon then polywool like the pic below from the juwel website-

l_filter-system.jpg

That's bizarre - that's definitely not what my Juwel instruction manual at home says and indicates :S
I will verify the information and scan in my own instructions and pics over the weekend. Very odd......

According to the Rekord 60 manual (Here) it is,
From top-to-bottom:

White wool pad
Carbon sponge
Coarse blue
Fine blue

going of the reply's ere, it looks like i have got mine the wrong way round. will change them round on water change day (saturday) but the question is DOES IT AFFECT THE FILTERING SYSTEM IF THEY ARE THE WRONG WAY ROUND ? i have been running this tank quite a few months now and the stats are always spot on and the water is nice and clear.

liam

I've been running mine like that for years with no problems at all :dunno:
I will definitely check my manual tonight and let you know - because I am 99.9% convinced mine states differently.

i am just trying to get my head round it and i would of thought that the pumphead pulls the water from the bottom thru all the filters and discharge at top, if this is the practice then its common sense to have your course filters at the bottom, i know its not the same but this is how it works in the water treatment industry, i know this as i work on sewage and freshwater treatment works.

liam

p.s are the pumpheads interchangeable ? my current one is 400l/h and want to up it really

You're absolutely right and if you think about it, it makes sense.
It just doesn't make sense to have the fine sponge at the bottom - even though I can clearly see that's how it's indicated on the Juwel website.

The Juwel filters pull water in through the top and out through the bottom (via the powerhead), so the manual does make sense.

So the water first encounters the wool to take the large mucky bits out, then the course sponge to take any larger bit that get through out, then the fine sponge to remove the finer stuff that got through the coarse wool and sponge.

Mine is setup as the website.

Just a side note, but you might consider removing the carbon pad. Not really necessary unless you need it for something specific, could in fact be detrimentalif you have live plants.

Well I'll be damned ! Just check my instructions and they are indeed exactly the same as per the website :*) (so sorry liam). However that said, I ran the fitler like that for years with no probs - but perhaps it would have been even better if it was set up the way it should have been.

Most reactions

Back