Juwel 125 New-ish Tank Questions

doktor doris

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
395
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Grantham.
Hullo,

I just got a 2nd hand juwel 125, with all the bits for 30 quid.

I like the way the heater fits inside the filter, and I like the way the filter is neatly tucked away in a corner.

I also like the way it seems quite tall for its length.

However, what I would like to know is-

I think I have worked out how the filter operates, how the 2 plastc 'harnesses' hold a bunch of sponge in each, and they fit on top of each other, then the powerhead sits on top.

But, just to be sure I would love to see an instruction leaflet, does anyone have one?
Or perhps know where I can find one online?

Also I plan to keep cichlids in this tank too.
Is the included filter really that good? Or should I consider replacing it?

And the heater which fits inside the filter niceley doesn't have any graduations in c or f.
To save a bit of guessing does anyone here have one, and knows how many, say, white blobs from the left I should satrt with to set my tank to a normal fish temp?

The back of my tank has some Juwel black plastic bumpy stuff, it doesn't look too bad but it is corroding in parts.
What solvent should I use if I wish to remove the internal backdrop?

And finally the hood has 2 tubes, one is white and one is orangey white, is that usual or has the previous owner changed things?

Thanks for reading my long post, and if you can answer any of my questions thanks ever so much!

doris
 
Hi Doris,

£30 is a good price for a Rio 125. Well done!

But, just to be sure I would love to see an instruction leaflet, does anyone have one?
Or perhps know where I can find one online?

Check out the bottom of the page of this link. http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/rio.htm?cat=4

Also I plan to keep cichlids in this tank too.
Is the included filter really that good? Or should I consider replacing it?

It really depends what you are stocking it with. If you are referring to Malawi Mbuna, which require to be heavily stocked and very effective filtration, then it should probably be replaced or at least supplemented by probably an external canister filter.

If you are planning to stock something like maybe a couple of Apistogrammas, then the internal filter is probably sufficient.

And the heater which fits inside the filter niceley doesn't have any graduations in c or f.
To save a bit of guessing does anyone here have one, and knows how many, say, white blobs from the left I should satrt with to set my tank to a normal fish temp?

I've never figured this out I'm afraid. I'm not sure why they don't put indications on it as its certainly not too user-friendly. Just mess about with it until you get it right.

The back of my tank has some Juwel black plastic bumpy stuff, it doesn't look too bad but it is corroding in parts.
What solvent should I use if I wish to remove the internal backdrop?

I would assume it will be stuck on with regular aquarium silicone. If so, just carefully prise it off with a wooden or plastic spatula. This will probably leave some silicone stuck to the inside of the tank, and this can easily be removed using a razor blade. No solvents required.

And finally the hood has 2 tubes, one is white and one is orangey white, is that usual or has the previous owner changed things?

Yes, this sounds like standard Juwel lighting. Nothing to worry about.

Hope that helps you somewhat.

Cheers :good:

BTT
 
backtropical, you sir/madam are a prince/princess amongst men/ladies!

Thanks ever so much for your advice and help.

You have answered all I asked in a splendid manner.

Once again thankyou,
yours

doris

I just checked the instruction book link and I feel I ought to say thanks again!

Brilliant, the whole set of destructions!
 
backtropical, you sir/madam are a prince/princess amongst men/ladies!

Thanks ever so much for your advice and help.

No problems at all. :good:

Sir, Prince and Men will suffice. No need for Madam, Princess and Ladies. ;)
 
Will do shelagh, the 270 quid I saved on tank and stand will just about pay for the fine black gravel I want, sheesh that stuff is costly!
 
:lol:
its is when you consider the cost of natural looking gravel, but its well worth it :)
what are you considering for backing?
the heater in the case, i just put mine in, dont affix it to anything,never had a problem.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top