Just Wondering What Would Happen If..

youngfisher

Marine Keeper..
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
3,105
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leicester
Sombody got a fish tank, Put the water in for a few days, Put the fish in and didn't do any cycling?

.
 
the water would go crappy and the fish would die
unless you do daily water changes and so go down the fish in cycle route

this can still poison the fish and cause extreme stress with the ammonia and nitrite levels rising these are both poisonous to fish and can do lasting damage
 
Did the same someone dechlorinate the water?
Did they heat it?
Did they put anything else besides the water in the tank?
Did they add any plants?

Too many variables to say what would happen. A Walstad tank is set up, planted and fish in all in the same day (from scratch) and doesn't go through regular cycling.
 
Sombody got a fish tank, Put the water in for a few days, Put the fish in and didn't do any cycling?

.

At the bottom of JustKia's sig is a link to fishincycle & fishless cycle, click on them both & have a read,lots of great info there. I did the fish in cycle with my first tank, I didnt know better & its what I was advised.

I was lucky, I didnt loose many fish, but it was pretty stressful for me(& even more stressful for the fish I am sure), I was doing water changes daily, testing twice a day, constantly watching my fish for signs of illness.

If you just put fish in without testing, constant water changes, the right chemicals, filter & heater, then it will result in dead fish :(
It also works out very expensive, because the test kits arent cheap & the chemicals you need to add each time you do a water change also start to add up.
 
Sombody got a fish tank, Put the water in for a few days, Put the fish in and didn't do any cycling?

.

At the bottom of JustKia's sig is a link to fishincycle & fishless cycle, click on them both & have a read,lots of great info there. I did the fish in cycle with my first tank, I didnt know better & its what I was advised.

I was lucky, I didnt loose many fish, but it was pretty stressful for me(& even more stressful for the fish I am sure), I was doing water changes daily, testing twice a day, constantly watching my fish for signs of illness.

If you just put fish in without testing, constant water changes, the right chemicals, filter & heater, then it will result in dead fish :(
It also works out very expensive, because the test kits arent cheap & the chemicals you need to add each time you do a water change also start to add up.


totally agree with above

you have a tank and want fish right away we all do on our first tank but the hassle of waterchanges is really not worth it

i strongly advice to anyone fishless cycling
 
Ammonia over .25 ppm will give your fish permanent gill damage.

NitrIte over .25 ppm will give your fish permanent nerve damage.

You must cycle the tank.

-FHM
 
I was confused - my dad was saying 'dont worry about it' but then i thought nah sod this its not fair - so I am deciding to do it.
 
Please learn some patience hun.
You have now put yourself in a position that is very hard work - I've done it (not by accident but by reading reading reading).
I know it's hard work to fish in cycle I was doing at least one 50% water change per day, sometimes more, constantly monitoring my tank to ensure that my fish didn't suffer from high ammonia readings and nitrites.
The people on this forum are very kind and helpful (well, most of them anyway LOL) but if you keep going against all the info that is provided to you here they will quickly give up and pass the advice on to someone who is going to listen and take heed instead.

Read through the stickies - if you don't understand something in there, just go back and slow down and make sure you actually read it instead of skimming it - fish keeping in general requires patience. If after that you don't understand make a thread asking about the point you don't understand and someone will be along in due course to help you out.
Just slow down.

The very best thing you could do right now is rehome/return your fish from where you got them.
While I did fish in cycle and maybe you think it's hypocritical but I really don't recommend doing it, I honestly don't think you have the patience to test and water change as often as is going to be required.
 
Please learn some patience hun.
You have now put yourself in a position that is very hard work - I've done it (not by accident but by reading reading reading).
I know it's hard work to fish in cycle I was doing at least one 50% water change per day, sometimes more, constantly monitoring my tank to ensure that my fish didn't suffer from high ammonia readings and nitrites.
The people on this forum are very kind and helpful (well, most of them anyway LOL) but if you keep going against all the info that is provided to you here they will quickly give up and pass the advice on to someone who is going to listen and take heed instead.

Read through the stickies - if you don't understand something in there, just go back and slow down and make sure you actually read it instead of skimming it - fish keeping in general requires patience. If after that you don't understand make a thread asking about the point you don't understand and someone will be along in due course to help you out.
Just slow down.

The very best thing you could do right now is rehome/return your fish from where you got them.
While I did fish in cycle and maybe you think it's hypocritical but I really don't recommend doing it, I honestly don't think you have the patience to test and water change as often as is going to be required.

Totally agree :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top