Just Started My River Reef 50

You could always order one more facing up for agitation on the surface and the other could be faced in to the rock build.

I bought this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370261878330

thinking my 3000l/h would be too much flow and people was recommending to order 2 of them, I thought with it being 2000l/h one will be enough but when it came it was tiny compared to my 3000l/h and it looked like it was only doing 1000l/h.

I don't know if the size of the power head affects how efficiently it runs but I would just wait until it arrives and see how it handles. I really do like the scaping you have done with the rocks so I'm not telling you to take more rock out but with so much in there I'm sure that the Koralia 900 by itself wouldn't make enough turnover in the tank.

Every saltwater setup using live rock needs at least 20x turnover at a minimum. They way you work it out:
e.g. Powerhead flow rate (900l/h) ÷ tank volume (50lt) = (18x turnover)

:unsure: il stick it in the top corner (opposite side to pump outlet) with it pointing at the rocks, and the pump outlet pointing up to move the surface about.

Might get another one to go on the otherside if its not enough.

Already starting to get more color of the rocks, Getting exciting now :hyper:

brought a hagen master test kit from a chap today for £10 :) gave it a go results are:

Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Amonnia 0

Anything else i should test for?

Ive only had the tank running just over a week now, do these reults seem right, or could the test kit be out of date :angry: Cant find a use by date on it anywhere.

Powerhead also arrived today but missed parcel man, so picking up first thing tommorow :D

james

got the powerhead in today, wot do you think of the position? hasnt got as much flow as i thought, doesnt even seem to reach the rocks tbh :crazy:

P1000877.jpg

If your rock wasnt out of water and you didnt travel far, say fifteen to thirty minutes then those results could be true - however, I would get them checked at lfs as the test kits might be old.

You will need a phosphate test soon and a ph

Seffie x

re: angle of powerhead, it is often good to aim at the front glass so the flow then gets bounced back through the front of the rocks

Seffie x

If your rock wasnt out of water and you didnt travel far, say fifteen to thirty minutes then those results could be true - however, I would get them checked at lfs as the test kits might be old.

You will need a phosphate test soon and a ph

Seffie x

re: angle of powerhead, it is often good to aim at the front glass so the flow then gets bounced back through the front of the rocks

Seffie x

rocks were out for about 15 mins at most, will get a test from lfs tommorow.

powerhead is now on back wall (next to pump outlet) facing the glass. and the pump outlet is facing up.

thanks

will update with test results from lfs

just got back from lfs, tests were perfect. ive added 5 turbo snails and 5 hemit crabs :D

not adding fish till at least november.

Have you seen that John is selling a brand new phosphate checker, snap it up if you have the dosh

Seffie x

im affraid funds are low at the momement, off to london for a few days tommorow for the other halfs Birthday treat, she's decided she needs some attention (and money!) rather than just my tanks :/

thanks for letting me know anyway :)

went to my lfs yesterday and got a test done, everythings spot on apparently, he said nitrates were slightly higher than perfect.

last nite i prepared for my 1st water change (saltwater). by heating up 10L of r/o water and bringing it to a salinity of 0.026, left over nite with a air stone, then put into tank this morning using some airline tubing.

how long do you think before i can add fish? 2-3weeks?

Most reactions

Back