Just set up a 10 gallon. Stocking ideas?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
Reaction score
Just set up a 10-gallon tank. 20" 10"

I wanted to eventually stock it with a really unique cichlid or something to that effect.

Any ideas?

here's a pic of the tank! sorry for the reflection :)
IMG_4629.JPG

Apistogramma cacatuoides might be ok in a 10g, but it would be pushing it. They really are a community fish. Have the considered a single Betta?

1 Male Betta
Small live bearers like guppies
Snails or shrimps

What are you water parameters in hardness?
Bettas are a bit too common. Preferably I want something I've never kept before.
Also, I wouldn't want to try keeping a betta with guppies. Bettas prefer to be alone.

my water is pretty hard. about 120 ppm

Apistogramma cacatuoides might be ok in a 10g, but it would be pushing it. They really are a community fish. Have the considered a single Betta?
bettas are a bit too common. i wanted something really unique and something i haven't kept before.
I'm going to research Apistogramma cacatuoides a bit

my water is pretty hard. about 120 ppm
Ahhh, well you could go for some uncommon snails like apple snails or rabbit snails. Just for the future, it might be a good idea to set up a brackish tank just because brackish fish prefer hard water conditions. Apistogramma cacatuoides does seem good at first glance.

If you don’t mind feeding live foods I’d recommend elassoma gilberti. You could keep a handful in a 10 gallon. They are unfussy when it comes to water parameters and do not even need a heater. The males are gorgeous in their breeding dress. Here’s one of my males:

Attachments

• BAB5EB86-8913-4DC6-9544-CCC4E21C6F81.jpeg
    BAB5EB86-8913-4DC6-9544-CCC4E21C6F81.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 43
If you don’t mind feeding live foods I’d recommend elassoma gilberti. You could keep a handful in a 10 gallon. They are unfussy when it comes to water parameters and do not even need a heater. The males are gorgeous in their breeding dress. Here’s one of my males:
wow those are cool!

I’d probably put two males and 4 females in a 10. The males do claim a territory and chase other males away. If you plant more heavily and add other things (rocks, driftwood, etc)to break up lines of sight, you can probably add another male or two. The sub-dominant males will tend to not color-up….I’m not familiar with Seriously fish. I purchased mine from an eBay seller. I had ordered one pair, she was nice enough to send a second pair without charge.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back