Just Got 4 Tropical Fish - Please Read

Status
Not open for further replies.
so what should i do with the plec?bring him back to the store? why cant i keep him and feed him like i feed my other fish? the guy in the store actually told me plecs eat worms or something i cant remember and then i told him i dont want to buy worms and he said use flakes then, they have 4 plecs in a 10 gall tank with like 10 other community fish in the store so what are u talkin about? u are making me feel bad again, i am gonna leave this forum if you keep on doing that, you are being paranoid for stuff that isnt even right.

btw if the water gets a BIT cloudy, should i remove 1 fish? i mean its almost crystal clear but i think its a bit cloudy

lol you dont want to buy worms.....

Why do you keep getting fish??? It is bewildering me, grimmy dont seem so bad no more....

so what should i do with the plec?bring him back to the store? why cant i keep him and feed him like i feed my other fish? the guy in the store actually told me plecs eat worms or something i cant remember and then i told him i dont want to buy worms and he said use flakes then, they have 4 plecs in a 10 gall tank with like 10 other community fish in the store so what are u talkin about? u are making me feel bad again, i am gonna leave this forum if you keep on doing that, you are being paranoid for stuff that isnt even right.
Stores do a lot of things that aren't right...like bettas in little plastic cups and goldfish in with tropical fish, etc. Also, the fish in pet stores aren't there for long, hopefully, they're bought quickly.This person you keep talking to at this store is a very fine example of some of the misinformation we have all heard here from pet store employees. All too many will tell you anything to keep you spending your money, they don't care about the fish at all. You told that person you didn't want to feed the pleco "worms" so concerned that you wouldn't buy it at all, he said it'd eat flakes and you did. Several of us have told you what the pleco will eat, no one mentioned flakes, did they?
lol you dont want to buy worms.....Why do you keep getting fish??? It is bewildering me, grimmy dont seem so bad no more....
:lol:
btw if the water gets a BIT cloudy, should i remove 1 fish? i mean its almost crystal clear but i think its a bit cloudy
It could be cloudy for two reasons - 1-it's not cycled and you're having a bacteria bloom or 2-that's the ich left in the tank from it not being treated.
so i need to get the pleco pellets yea? ok ill buy them tommorow, and should i do the procedure for the ich ? i have the medicine, its from API, called super ich, its a blue liquid, its a procedure that takes like 3 days cuz i need to add the liquid, wait like 24 hours or so, i cant eremember the insutructions, they are on the bottle so yea im not looking at the bottle atm so i dont remember. the goldfish had a chunk of white inside his tail, it was inside because when i bought him he had like a small hole in his tail, i dunno why but anyway i bought him, and the ich started going there i think , i have a problem tho, i have a filter and it has a mix of ammonia and carb rockes, on the bottle the instructions say to remove any carb from the filter if present and leave on the ammonia rocks in the filter, the carb rocks need to be re added after the 3-4 day procedure of the ich treatment, is taking out the carb rocks neccesary? and no i dont plan on getting any more fish at all, stop making me feel bad with these comments about how i made this and that mistake, be nice to me. cheers.
Getting rid of ich takes a LOT longer than 3 days.The carbon in your filter will remove the medication, that's why they tell you to take it out, why question what the directions tell you to do? You put it back in for a few days after the treatment is completed to remove the medication, that's its purpose, why do you have it in the first place?

lol you dont want to buy worms.....

Why do you keep getting fish??? It is bewildering me, grimmy dont seem so bad no more....

ok so i will buy worms, how many worms should i feed btw? and what kind of worms is best? i heared theres blood worms and some other kind if im not wrong

and regarding cloudiness, like i said, it may only be my eyes, its not cloudy at all lol its just that its not like 100% crystal clear, i think its because i feed them in the evening too and they didnt eat all of it , and yes i was feeding them slowly, anyway i wont feed them in the evening anymore, ok so i will buy the worms, the plec eats the worms yea?

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, if you had any idea about what I'm like you would know that I love starting new people off in this hobby on the right foot. Fish are as diverse a species as mammals, you couldn't properly keep a rinocerous in the same quarters with the same diet as a housecat. They actually are that different. I'm sure you're familiar with minnows, and probably bass. Our aquarium fish are just as dissimilar, just from a warmer area of the planet, and require the same difference in space & food.

Your local shop is keeping those fish on a temporary basis, the same as a shop keeps puppys in smaller quarters than you would ever even consider keeping them in long term as an adult. I don't suggest anyone stock a tank with angels the way I do, unless they are breeding angels. I sell angels by the hundreds to shops like your friend owns, and breed some plecs & livebearers on the side for a little fun & to keep my angel tanks clean. Have a quick look; http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=209553&hl=

As has been stated before, fish shops are in it for the money, many operate much the same as a shady used car salesman. I deal with shops & broker several times weekly, along with other local breeders. The ones I won't deal with outnumber the ones I will, because they give incorrect info, try to convince new aquarists of things that are not correct, and in general care more about money than living things.

As far as feeding the plec; bloodworms are good, frozen bloodworms are a convenient way of keeping a supply on hand. I always have some in my freezer. Zuccini is an excellent veg for plecs, but a whole one, slice it up into smaller portions, and freeze it. One minute in a cup of water in the microwave softens a larger piece, smaller ones take about 30 seconds. Look around at garage sales, and local ads in the paper for a larger tank, that plec will need one soon. If you can't get a larger tank, then yes, bring him back to the store.

Not one person responding so far is being anywhere near paranoid, you actually have been given some very good info by some accomplished aquarists. You can get an incredible amount of info, as well as a good education in aquatics here. All it takes is some time, and the electricity to run your computer. Stick around & learn, it's the best bargain in town.

why cant i keep the plec in 10 gallon? he is a clown pleco and he is very small, and no i wont get a bigger tank because i cant afford that atm, the plec was 5$ btw. and for your information, the way you tell me things makes me feel sad or makes me feel i do something wrong.

just got this info from here:

http://www.fishlore.com/YourTanks_Page10.htm

the guys has:

Bull
Experience: 5 - 10 years
(65 gallon freshwater)
4 angels, 1 bala shark, 19 harlequin raspbora, 1 pleco, 3 clown loaches
(20 gallon freshwater)
1 goldfish, 2 ryukins, 3 fantails, 3 ghost shrimp and a bristlenose pleco
(10 gallon freshwater)
10 neons, 3 ghost shrimp and a bristlenose pleco

there u go , he has a pleco with 10 OTHER FISH! i have ONLY 4 fish with the pleco its 5 fish total.

and for the plec, what should be his primary food, the blood worms? btw my fish eat worms too yea?(the molly and the sword tails)

omg, ok, one person said and does something, does it make it right, no, if 10 people (like us) say something, does it make it right, no, but since 10 people said one thing and 1 person said another, which one would you believe? If 10 people said plastic is better than paper environmentally wise, and 1 person said paper is better than plastic, which one would you choose.

I will sound harsh, if you cant take nice info from tolak who has given you as much info as possible in the nicest manner as possible, and you thought he hurt your feelings, you must be REALLY sensitive, too sensitive i think to take part in any forum of any kind.

3 pages of different members telling you as much as they can, and you believe one person who keeps 14 inch active schooling fish in a 65 gallon type.

What are you doing here? You obviously only hear what you want to hear, and we tell you whats right, but you dont want to hear us, get out of this forum if you are like this, we are dedicating our times to help people and all your doing is crying at what we say!!

Yes, the way we say things makes you feel you did something wrong, thats our whole point, you did something wrong!!!!! Is it getting through your head yet!!! You did something wrong and dont want to fix it!!!! Do you get it now, we want you to feel like you did something wrong because you did do something wrong!

Bull seems to have 5-10 years experience at keeping fish. Bull also has two larger tanks for a backup plan of sorts, in case the tank with the bristlenose has a problem. It also doesn't state any empty tanks he may have as a backup plan.

The point I am trying to get acroos is that no beginning aquarist should start off with an overstocked tank. If you have been through the experience of driver's education, or even if you haven't, you will understand how they start you out slow, in a parking lot, getting used to the brakes, gas, and other functions of an automobile. They don't point you towards the expressway during rush hour for your first lesson.

You are at lesson number one at this point, I don't know why you would want to set yourself up for anything less than an enjoyable experience with aquatics. I personally wouldn't want you to have anything less than a really good time with your tank & fish. I see your stocking a tank in that manner, with a previous history of disease, as you not having an easy time with this in the future. I don't want that, and I don't think you do either.

Actually you are doing nothing different than I did over 15 years ago, long before the internet was available. 10 gallon tank, plec, platys, corys, livebearers, and an angel. It took about a year for fish to die, be replaced, die again, tank go cloudy, or green, or everything die practically overnight. I listened to the local shop, they didn't know squat in retrospect. Today you have a major advantage with the internet, something that was not available long ago.

As far as feeding, the main portion of that plec's diet should be veggies, bloodworms a few times weekly. Driftwood is a must with this variety of plec. Really consider a larger tank, one person's overstocked tank should not be a determining factor for your success. Stocking is just as much art as science, and like any art, takes some time to aquire a feel for what is right and what is not.

so return the plec? what will clean my tank if i return him then? i heared the plec cleans up bad bacteria and stuff, and whats driftwood, i can feed him worms i guess but not too sure about veggies, i mean how do i even feed him veggies, wont adding veggies to the aquarium make the water dirty and stuff?

You'll clean your tank. Plecs "may" eat algae as babies, but it's far easier to clean it off yourself. They do not eat bad bacteria.

You need to research before you buy fish. Fish are a diverse species, some can only live in bwlow freezing, some require temps 28 degrees plus, some grow barely a mm long, some can grow up to 4 METRES. Some are purely herbivores and can't eat meat, some are purely carnivores and can't be fed vegetable matter. Whatever fish you happen to like at the store, you need to go home, get on the computer and research them, and then decide whether or not you can get one. Noy buy one and ask questions later.

Also the number of fish means nothing, if you had 6 small tetras and a pleco, you'd be less overstocked, but you have 4 medium fish, which from memory can get to 4-6 inches. They aren't really suitable for a ten gallon, when theirs four of them AND a pleco.

whoa, u got me confused, a molly and a swordtail arent bigger than tetras, tetras are actually bigger, i saw them in the store, they are really nice, but yea they are bigger, i will return the pleco tommorow then.. should i get a tetra instead or just keep the 4 fish i have atm?

There are different sizes of tetras, just like there are different sizes of terriers. Neon tetras get to about one inch as adults.

I wouldn't get any more fish until you are sure the tank is clear of any diseases. This should take a week or two, which will give you plenty of time to research your next purchase. Feel free to ask any questions here concerning the fish you are interested in, that's why members hang out here, they all like pitching in & helping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back