Just found a few fry during Water change

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

This video was really lovely, thank you for sharing it! It was so sweet, seeing that you're so genuinely excited about the fry, and setting up a new tank for them. Really made me smile! :D
They're such fun to own. I bought a batch of fry off eBay in December and never imagined they'd all survive and I'd have a tank full of active colorful fishies. I want to move them to the bigger tank but IDK how I'm going to do it. I may have to get a 10 gallon instead for now.

I don't want babies to overrun the small tank. I can put the extra babies in my 55, which has some juvenile Acaras and a medium/large Blood Parrot... But they'll likely be eaten.

They're such fun to own. I bought a batch of fry off eBay in December and never imagined they'd all survive and I'd have a tank full of active colorful fishies. I want to move them to the bigger tank but IDK how I'm going to do it. I may have to get a 10 gallon instead for now.

I don't want babies to overrun the small tank. I can put the extra babies in my 55, which has some juvenile Acaras and a medium/large Blood Parrot... But they'll likely be eaten.
Do you have another spot where you can set up the larger tank, and keep the smaller tank where it is as a nursery tank for fry/potential quarantine tank perhaps?

Livebearers are a lot of fun! I keep guppies, platies and mollies right now, but they often get overwhelming since they just produce so. many. fry. It's not a bad thing that you have some large cichlids for population control - at least for any deformed ones. Guppies and Endlers are pretty prone to producing the odd bent spine fry, and it's not good to let the deformed ones breed.

Otherwise if you just want to keep the adults and some fry in one tank, removing some fry when it gets too overcrowded, that works too! You can see if your LFS is willing to take the young when they're a bit bigger, mine accepts my overpopulation once they're 2-3 months old and large enough for them to sell. If you're going for a mixed male/female community tank, just keep an eye on the male/female ratios. Too many males, and the females get stressed and exhausted from being constantly chased. Too many females, popping out 30-40 fry each per month, soon gets overcrowded! So it can be tricky to strike a balance at first, and it's why a nursery tank to scoop a load of fry into can be handy! :lol:

If you'd like help/advice about how to go about moving them to the bigger tank, would be happy to help. You could make a thread for that. I hope you make a journal thread to share your progress with this tank and the new tank you're planning to set up! Love following people's progress when they're setting up a new tank, learn a lot that way, and your enthusiasm is really nice to see :)

That's the issue - I don't have another spot for a tank. I wish I did. I can fit a 10 gallon there though so I'll have to do that for now. I'm sure they'd enjoy that better than their little 3 gallon.

My 1 tank has turned into multiple tanks 1 of which is Guppy fry but they are shipped out regular to keep the numbers down
I only wanted a little 15 gallon, guppy community tank, thinking the adults would eat most of the fry, but that a few would make it. My adults have never eaten fry! So I ended up with three guppy tanks. Male tank, female tank, and a grow out/quarantine tank. Now my dad is giving me his 57 gallon. I'm a bit overwhelmed to be honest! I take them to the store once they're large enough, but right now I have so many batches that are still too small to go the store.

Same here, I had a 10 Gallon breeder, Then put some in the 30 Gallon community for lack of space in the 10, Then i bought a 50 Gallon?
My kids wanted to see fry born so i got a few females from LFS & ohh god did they have fry, They wouldnt stop, So i gave them to my pal & kept some of the fry. After seperating the females & males at 4 weeks, i selected a few best looking pairs to breed, Which were nice Tuxedo Black with blue/red stripes & yellow tails.
Now they have had fry so am waiting to see the colouration

I hope mine don't begin to "overpopulate". I don't have a LFS at all here... And I can't really give then away or sell them. I could put them in my 55 where they'll likely be eaten by Acaras and a Blood Parrot - but I really would love for them to live.

Petco will take ones that are colored up and whatnot... And then SELL THEM for $10 PER FISH, which is crazy. I also hate taking fish there because a lot of the time they just die.

I hope mine don't begin to "overpopulate". I don't have a LFS at all here... And I can't really give then away or sell them. I could put them in my 55 where they'll likely be eaten by Acaras and a Blood Parrot - but I really would love for them to live.

Petco will take ones that are colored up and whatnot... And then SELL THEM for $10 PER FISH, which is crazy. I also hate taking fish there because a lot of the time they just die.
Why can't you give them away or sell them?

Ah! Didn’t know they even took them.
I don't think any of the big box stores in the UK do, sadly. Risk of bringing disease in. Although often they get diseased fish from suppliers too, but I guess they have relationships with suppliers where if they get too many bad shipments, they'll change supplier, so each supplier is motivated to try to have healthy fish, or lose business.

So they say disease, but I personally reckon it's more that they don't want the mismash tanks of different looking fish. Like, they can't sell a full grown angel as easily as a tank full of babies.

Maidenhead Aquatics took some of my fish - donated of course.

I gave them one male pearl gourami which was bought as a female but matured as a male and was causing havoc with the other male. It did come from another branch of MA.
And they took three juvenile kribs which were given to me but they also created havoc so they had to go.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back