Just a few questions...

@Byron and @Essjay: Is there no argument to suggest that, as your filter medium can contain large populations of the beneficial bacteria and much of the nitrogen cycle management depends upon the biological filtration of passing water over said bacteria, that the filter facilitates the flow of water over this bacteria? Meaning that the filter not only performs a mechanical filtration, but also biological filtration?

Certainly. Mechanical filtration is our aim, but realizing that biological filtration is bound to be present. However, in an established tank, the greater number of various bacteria will be in the substrate. You should be able to shut the filter off and remove it, with no harm to the fish. This argues against the common misconception that the filter determines the fish load. No. The aquarium's biological system (with no filter) determines the fish load. Over simplifying, but it gets one thinking.

Certainly. Mechanical filtration is our aim, but realizing that biological filtration is bound to be present. However, in an established tank, the greater number of various bacteria will be in the substrate. You should be able to shut the filter off and remove it, with no harm to the fish. This argues against the common misconception that the filter determines the fish load. No. The aquarium's biological system (with no filter) determines the fish load. Over simplifying, but it gets one thinking.
I suppose I'd acknowledge the capacity of a good filter to facilitate good mechanical AND biological filtration, it would be a bad idea to consider the filter alone as a stock-determining factor. I'm thinking that the AqAdvisor 'stocking tool' appears to do just that very thing.

Again, you could fit an extremely powerful filter to your small tank and AqAdvisor might advise you that you have some 500% filtration and more than enough for your stocking levels. However, unless you've gone for extreme fast-water types, those poor little fish would soon be effectively battered and exhausted to death.

An example -
In my tank I have mainly slow growing plants but I also have floating plants. The tank has been running for 7 years, but the filter and substrate came from a smaller tank which had been running for several years.
A year or so ago, after a water change I noticed that I had knocked the internal filter so it was not straight, and I hate wonky filters. So I turned it off to sort it out, went to wash my hands before plugging it back in, got distracted and forgot. The fish showed no change in behaviour, the shrimps and snails did not try to escape, so I did not notice the filter wasn't on. I only noticed at the next week's water change. Of course I panicked, grabbed my test kit and tested for ammonia and nitrite. Not a trace of either after a week with no filter running.

An example -
In my tank I have mainly slow growing plants but I also have floating plants. The tank has been running for 7 years, but the filter and substrate came from a smaller tank which had been running for several years.
A year or so ago, after a water change I noticed that I had knocked the internal filter so it was not straight, and I hate wonky filters. So I turned it off to sort it out, went to wash my hands before plugging it back in, got distracted and forgot. The fish showed no change in behaviour, the shrimps and snails did not try to escape, so I did not notice the filter wasn't on. I only noticed at the next week's water change. Of course I panicked, grabbed my test kit and tested for ammonia and nitrite. Not a trace of either after a week with no filter running.
I DO leurve a happy Ending! :cool:

I suppose I'd acknowledge the capacity of a good filter to facilitate good mechanical AND biological filtration, it would be a bad idea to consider the filter alone as a stock-determining factor. I'm thinking that the AqAdvisor 'stocking tool' appears to do just that very thing.

Yes, which is why AqAdvisor is not adequate and is in fact misleading. The fish species--their requirements respecting water flow, numbers, etc--must determine the stocking, not the filter.

Again, you could fit an extremely powerful filter to your small tank and AqAdvisor might advise you that you have some 500% filtration and more than enough for your stocking levels. However, unless you've gone for extreme fast-water types, those poor little fish would soon be effectively battered and exhausted to death.

Exactly. The needs of the fish, which we can determine by researching the habitat conditions and listening to those who know, are the factors to consider.

Picked up my second hand 50 gallon fish tank. It's huge and it came with stones(big unfortunately but I think I can put the small stones on top of it), top filter box(unfortunately way too strong current for my fish) a Living World Small Pals Pen(IDK how many gallons), filter carbon, filter wool, air stone, algae scrubber and really nice Low watt flourescent aquarium light! Very worth it for RM70( $17.50 USD). The tank has hard water stains(not that bad tho only a few places) and I draped those places with kitchen towel and poured Apple Cider Vinegar on it as shown in a YT video. I am excited to set it up!

Unfortunately the paper towels dried up and they take so long to soak, so I am trying spraying 50/50 ratio of water and vinegar solution onto the tank, then scrubbing baking soda on it, following this video.

Use straight, non-diluted white vinegar, and skip the baking soda.

You may need to soak the stubborn stains with vinegar for several minutes, you can lay the tank on it's side(s) to do this...then scrub with a nylon brush or rag and water (hot water is even better, if feasible)

Hi, I actually already tried the method in the video(but couldn't finish it was getting dark), it was only effective when baking soda was applied. why can't I use Apple Cider Vinegar? Is it harmful in any way(to my fish or to the tank)?

Hi, I actually already tried the method in the video(but couldn't finish it was getting dark), it was only effective when baking soda was applied. why can't I use Apple Cider Vinegar? Is it harmful in any way(to my fish or to the tank)?
Whatever you use, be it vinegar or detergents, you'll be spending a lot of time rinsing and rinsing and rinsing your tank, just to ensure that none of the cleaning element remains. Obviously, vinegar will be the easiest to remove.
As for apple vinegar...
When it was realised, by those wanting to avoid chemicals in their lives, that vinegar was effective, they promoted it. However, I believe that for the class of people who did this, apple or cider vinegar was the stuff they normally used and so Apple, or Cider, Vinegar was promoted as the go-to cleaner. (There's a certin snob-value attached to it ;) ).
The reality is that any vinegar is a good cleaning agent and can be used wherever apple vinegar is promoted, although apple vinegar smells nicer and some might argue it tastes better...'though I prefer real malt vinegar on my chips! :p
The baking soda, or salt, acts as an abrasive that won't scratch the glass and is usually an essential componant of such cleaning.

I tried @Slaphppy7's way(using non-diluted white vinegar) and it worked! I found out my ACV was diluted to 5%. But same goes with my white vinegar. I use Heinz's vinegar. The only thing wrong with my fish tank now is that it's cloudy a bit when dry. As soon as liquid is applied it is fine and since my tank is going to be filled with water, it's ok. By the way, @Slaphppy7, congrats on becoming a moderator! You deserve it.

I tried @Slaphppy7's way(using non-diluted white vinegar) and it worked! I found out my ACV was diluted to 5%. But same goes with my white vinegar. I use Heinz's vinegar. The only thing wrong with my fish tank now is that it's cloudy a bit when dry. As soon as liquid is applied it is fine and since my tank is going to be filled with water, it's ok. By the way, @Slaphppy7, congrats on becoming a moderator! You deserve it.
Glad to hear the vinegar worked out for you, and thanks!

Lots of good uses for plain ole cheap white vinegar: https://www.tipsbulletin.com/vinegar/

I have to keep changing my stock due to fish going out of stock. It's really annoying! Is this ok? 10(more when I breed them)Cardinal Tetras, 10 Black Neon Tetras, a few Blue Jelly Shrimp, 3 Corydoras Catfish, 5 Green Tiger Barbs and 5 Odessa Tiger Barbs. I heard that Tiger Barbs are aggro so not so sure about this...

I have to keep changing my stock due to fish going out of stock. It's really annoying! Is this ok? 10(more when I breed them)Cardinal Tetras, 10 Black Neon Tetras, a few Blue Jelly Shrimp, 3 Corydoras Catfish, 5 Green Tiger Barbs and 5 Odessa Tiger Barbs. I heard that Tiger Barbs are aggro so not so sure about this...
That sounds like your fish keep dying! 😬

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back