Julii Cory Cats, School Or Pair?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

christylee

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before..I tried searching but didn't find a result!

I've heard people say cories are best kept in groups of 5+ but when I was at my LFS the other day one of the guys (I don't trust his advice and the owner wasn't there) talked me out of getting more and said two was better.

Opinions? I feel like he's wrong..but I don't really know.

He's wrong, you're right.

He is 100% wrong, shocking... get as big a group as you can :)

Wills

What a plonker!
Makes you wonder who employs these pet shop assistants.

Completely agree.  I do wish stores would educate their staff better.  I have an online friend who worked in a store for 20 years, and they have a training program that fish staff must take.  Terrific idea.

To the corys, five is minimum in an aquarium, but where space permits, more will be better.  This is a highly social fish, living in groups of hundreds in the wild, and without companions it will be stressed and that leads to health issues.

By the way, I would venture a guess that your Julii corys are likely not Corydoras julii but C. trilineatus.  Throughout North America, C. trilineatus has been marketed as C. julii for years.  The two species are very much alike, but you will only see true C. julii if they are wild caught fish.  C. julii is quite rare in the hobby, since it occurs in rivers and areas that are generally not heavily-fished commercially and is therefore seldom exported; the few times it does appear it has probably been collected in the Rio Para which is regularly fished. The true C. julii has a spotted pattern on the head and body, and the lateral stripe is either not present or extends only midway along the body. C. julii is also somewhat smaller and more compact-looking in size than C. trilineatus.  The latter has more of a reticulated pattern (as opposed to dots) on the head, and the body markings are more variable.  But the head pattern is usually sufficiently distinctive to discern the species.  First photo below is a C. julii, second a C. trilineatus, but keep in mind that the patterning can vary greatly from what is shown on these particular fish.

Byron.

Attachments

• Corydoras julii2.jpg
    Corydoras julii2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Corydoras trilineatus2.jpg
    Corydoras trilineatus2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 320
True that. I used to have a shoal of true Julii's many years ago. Never seen any being traded since and much prefer them the to the trilineatus (although to be fair I've not really looked all that hard), although they're both lovely fish.

I'll try to get a good picture. They're very skiddish though..probably because there's only two! They're more on the brownish color. But one looks more like the right photo and the other looks more like the left lol. Regardless they're cute and I feel bad now! I'm gonna stop and grab three more after work tomorrow. 

If I sit in front of the tank and stay still for a while they do come out, and they get really excited around feeding time.

The guy who owns the store is an absolute treasure and has never given me wrong advice. I understand he has a life outside of his store and can't always be there but I agree on the training of employees. The guy working for him right now that I dealt with, I can't stand.

Check out how cories live in the wild : - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWIVCdLOImw

With social shoaling type fish more is always better -- get as many as your tank can hold

Most reactions

Back