Juli or Sterbai

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Darter217

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have my tank temperature at just under 24 degrees Celsius and am thinking of adding either Juli Cory's or Sterbai Cory's to go with some five banded barbs. Which one of the two Cory's will be able to cope better with the temperature in my tank?

Both should do just fine. I prefer Julii’s though, they are cool little dudes. :fish:

Both should do just fine. I prefer Julii’s though, they are cool little dudes. :fish:

I'm leaning towards the Julis, from what I've read they are slightly smaller than the Sterbais and prefer temperatures closer to mine. Sterbais seem to like it a bit warmer.

I'm leaning towards the Julis, from what I've read they are slightly smaller than the Sterbais and prefer temperatures closer to mine. Sterbais seem to like it a bit warmer.
Yes, they are much smaller. They are very lively though.

Yes, they are much smaller. They are very lively though.

Five banded barbs can also be pretty active so there shouldn't be a problem there. This will be my second lot of fish, I will have had my first fish for about 4 weeks by the time I get the Cory's in.

Another option my LFS had were pygmy Cory's or laser Cory's.

The trilineatus (julii) are better suited for the lower temps than the sterbai.

"Julii" are 99% of the time trilineatus, as true juliis are very rare and nearly all sources sell their trilineatus as julii.

Either way, cooler temps are fine. Sterbai prefer 75F+

However be wary with barbs, for some reason many people here have had issues with even peaceful barbs going after cory dorsal fins (myself included)

So something to watch for.

However be wary with barbs, for some reason many people here have had issues with even peaceful barbs going after cory dorsal fins (myself included)

So something to watch for.
My tank temp is is around the minimum of what sterbai prefer, it's usually somewhere between 23.9 and 24.2 hence why I'm going with Julis. Also because they're smaller and I plan on getting about 10 tetras in a few months time so I'm taking my tank space into account there.

My barbs are pretty peaceful, they don't even chase each other sometimes and just chill out together.

The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is that five banded barbs do like to venture to the bottom of the tank every now and again, even though they are middle dwelling fish. It should be okay but I'll keep an eye on them for the first few days to make sure they're settling in.

My tank temp is is around the minimum of what sterbai prefer, it's usually somewhere between 23.9 and 24.2 hence why I'm going with Julis. Also because they're smaller and I plan on getting about 10 tetras in a few months time so I'm taking my tank space into account there.

My barbs are pretty peaceful, they don't even chase each other sometimes and just chill out together.

The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is that five banded barbs do like to venture to the bottom of the tank every now and again, even though they are middle dwelling fish. It should be okay but I'll keep an eye on them for the first few days to make sure they're settling in.
Yeah they say odessas and melons are peaceful too but another member had their odessas terrorize their paleatus cories and my melons were horrible to all my cories and plecos too lol

So if you add cories, watch out for that, it may work out, but you could be in for a surprise like we were lol if you see any rips in the cory fins, or suddenly the cories are hiding constantly, take a closer look

Yeah they say odessas and melons are peaceful too but another member had their odessas terrorize their paleatus cories and my melons were horrible to all my cories and plecos too lol

So if you add cories, watch out for that, it may work out, but you could be in for a surprise like we were lol if you see any rips in the cory fins, or suddenly the cories are hiding constantly, take a closer look

I'm going to add another Cory cave for my tank, I added one to the tank when I put my first fish in but one of the female barbs seems to have designated it as her night time sleeping spot.

I'm getting 6 Julis so that they don't feel too outnumbered by my 9 barbs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back