Jens First Marine Tank Journal Rio 300

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

weejen

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Thought i would start my journal even tho i am still in the planning stage. just now i have a 42"x17"x12" tank 150l set up as tropical.

what i have it running on just now is:
filter: fluval u4
heater: hagen elite 150w
air pump: interpet aqua air AP2
lighting: hagen glo T5HO 39w

tanknow.jpg

most recent pic of the tank

i also have a 24"x15"x12" set up as well and another small shrimp tank which will all go when i change to marine.
Altho i mite use the 2 foot as a sump but if i do it will have to sit next to the display tank

still undecided tho.

Equipment i think i want
lighting: hagen glo T4 HO double with T5HO marine glo bulbs 39w x2
skimmer:deltec MCE600
heater: dont no if the one i have is useable
live rock: 16kg prob a bit more
RO: have no idea if i will be getting an RO unit if i can find RO water localy
power heads: think i need 3000lph as that will be 20x turnover of my tank (dont no what kind help needed)

anything i have forgotten or realy need to know

Refractomer and a TDS meter would be handy, both make good Christmas presents :p

'The Book' on corals, again a good present :good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquarium-Corals-Selection-Husbandry-Natural/dp/1890087475

Powerheads, either tunze or koralia - if you have loads of dosh then vortechs

Seffie x

sorry tosound silly what is a TDS metre?
and would the deltec mce 300 clap on the side of my tank?

Total Disolved Solids - it tests the water to see if there is any TDS left, you are looking for the elusive 0 :kana: If the reading is high it is likely to cause you a problem.

Yes, it does clamp on the side - my daughter has one, ask the question and I will take a look when I go up there on Wednesday :good:

Seffie x

cool thanx i will have a look on ebay for them as well. ebay is my friend just now..i just need to no if the inlet and outlets will reach over the supports on the top of my tank they stick out bout 3 inces from the glass on the side of my tank

Jen, take a look at page 10, I suspect the clamp is going to be the problem, not the inlet and outlet?

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/files/MCE%20300%20English%202.pdf

Seffie x

Its just a flat piece of plastic with a screw in it.

Would you believe it, my daughter has just moved to Lincolnshire, went up and said, so where is the tank, 'oh, she says, thats still back at the other house :blink: '. So I didn't get to see it after all, sorry

Seffie x

well slight change of plan. i have just bought a new tank its a jewel rio 300 or 400.. ok so ur wondering why i dont no what size.. i think its a 400 but my mum says it was a 300 when she went to shop to buy it for me since i was working. so i will have to wait till its delivered to find out for sure, not that it matters cause its an upgrade from my 150l that is now for sale on fleabay. so now i need to rethink the equip i am gonna need as the tank has doubled insize. so i need ur help again to work out what i need.

nice :hyper: could it be the new juwel 300 which is 350L? the way to tell is to see if it has 4 t5s.

if i rember rite i dont think it is. i think its only got 2 bulbs which would make them t8s. and can the lighting be converted to t5s?

but it was reduced in the shop so that would sugest to me that its an old one.. how can i tell if there t8 or t5s?

but it was reduced in the shop so that would sugest to me that its an old one.. how can i tell if there t8 or t5s?

sounds like it, the t8's are an inch across (25cm) whereas the t5s are 5/8 inch (15cm) roughly. mine had t8's but i just fitted a hagen glo twin t5 unit to the hood. easy job if you want more light, check my journal. harry has done it too. its a lot cheaper than buying the £70 plus juwel t5 unit. the hagen unit is £30 and then whatever for the tubes plus you get the extra light from the t8's.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back