Jbl Proflora 2 Kits - Are They Really That Bad?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Squid

grumpy old man!
Reaction score
I am currently looking into pressurised Co2 and I am starting to read the pros and cons of the different approaches. I have a few points and questions..

(I would prefer to buy an all in one kit if possible, as I can't be buggered with buying all the different bits an pieces, and like jimbooo will get well and truely linched in strolling into the house looking like a welder.)

I like the look of the one that jimboo has used, but it doesn't come with a solenoid, but i guess i could add that if they do one for that particular one. any ideas here?

Jimbooo - did MA allow you to change your cylinder for a JBL one?

If MA will now allow this to happen, then JBL is my only choice with my local LFS. So.. how good are they? Is it really that tricky to adjust??

Is it possble to buy the dennerle kit (or something similar) minus the cylinder. In that case I could buy a decent regulator, the solenoid and then a JBL tank from my local MA..

Ah.. decisions decisions... why are the JBL regs so frustrating. grr.

Squid

Thanks dave.. Do the regs on there enable the use of JBL Cannisters? Otherwise i will be back to my issue of sourceing regular gas bottle locally.

..I'm struggling with German too.. i click on the uk flag, but the text seems to stay german.. :(

Squid

See the strange thing is my JBL reg is completely fine. Its ok to adjust (can be fiddly but you get used to it and isnt a bit hassle) and I haven't had any probablys with it dumping CO2 when the pressure drops. I haven't got a JBl solonoid.

I've got a JBL Reg and solenoid and never had any problems. I've also got 2 spare 500g cylinders if anyone wants them.

Why don't you use a fire extinguisher. It only took some minor adjustments on my JBL reg and apparantely that is because it was an older one. Newer ones go straight on.

If you want a complete kit get this one, it comes with everything you need. and is far cheaper than a JBL kit. You wont be able to refill the cylinder but thats not a problem (see below :))

[URL="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CO2-Komplettset-Magn...oQQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CO2-Komplettset-Magn...oQQcmdZViewItem[/URL]

Re solenoids, yes you can add one separately but to be honest they aren't necessary I've never used one, just run the co2 24/7, the fish dont seem to mind at all.

Way the dedication to JBL cylinders? Why not get a fire extinguisher, they work out loads cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2kg-Co2-Fire-Extingu...1QQcmdZViewItem

Check out the link in my sig to fire extinguisher CO2 :)

Sam

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey Squid. how funny i just commented in your bubble counter thread and pretty much exactly answered your question lol. must be reading your mind lol.

seriously mate follow sams advice and get the FE. get it delivered to work and setup when the misses is out. i use the exact FE in the link above and it fits in the rio180 cabinet with about 15cm above it. you can add 4 screws above the FE in the cabinet and make a little shelf for food etc so you dont have to waste any space.

when the misses comes home it's all behind closed doors and you wont get in trouble lol. make sure you buy a non return valve though (i forgot but remembered before a disaster happened) i got all worried because of the bigger bottle and got a premium stainless steel aquarium gardening one for about £16. it's used for medical applications so i'll trust it to save the cream carpet from backflow flooding! now that would see some Fireworks of the indoor variety!

to answer your question MA will not swap Dennerle for JBL. they want £70 for a new, full JBL 500G bottle if you do not have one to swap. the JBL is not that hard to adjust. most of my problems came from the crap JBL bubble counter that was leaking hence i couldn't set a steady rate that said the dennerle needle valve and guages are definatly a class above JBL in build quality. if they had ADA stamped on them you wouldn't be disappointed where as JBL is a bit plasticy. not really that relevant when it's in the cabinet granted.

500G gas and bottle = £70

2000G gas and bottle = £23.50

so thats £280 pounds worth of JBL gas for £22.30 with an FE. need there be any deliberation.... :whistle:

i know you can fill a 500G for £10 but still thats double the price. it is actually more expensive to refil a FE what with all the tests etc than it is to buy a new one so i just do that. buy 2 in the first instance, put both in the cabinet, swop the reg over when one runs out and then order a replacement.

my only hiccup was i did not do this and have been waiting a week for a new FE. thats the only problem with ebay you have to plan ahead as things take time. if you have one in "stock" then this isn't an issue.

hope that helps. James

I'm using a JBL Profi 1 set ATM with JBL 2Kg cylinder. First impressions are good, but I'm a little concerned about the CO2 dumping...

George (gt568), do you experience this CO2 dump when the contents become lower?

I'm using a JBL Profi 1 set ATM with JBL 2Kg cylinder. First impressions are good, but I'm a little concerned about the CO2 dumping...

No I've never had any CO2 dump with low contents. The flow has always been steady all the way down to empty IME. Perhaps they have varying degrees of build quality as I've got no complaints after 2+ years of use

No I've never had any CO2 dump with low contents. The flow has always been steady all the way down to empty IME. Perhaps they have varying degrees of build quality as I've got no complaints after 2+ years of use

Joly good. Let's hope I got a good one too...

Thanks for all of your replies!..

Ok ok ok ok... I think i'm a convert:

Jimbooo - the money makes sense... and if it fits in the Rio 180 and the missus won't see it then I think i'm sold!

George - just been reading PFK.. hehe.. i spy a fire extinguisher!

Sam - ok. you got me.. but my german is a little rusty (in fakt it ist non-ekzistant) and i'm a bit new to this game to recognise all the bits in the pictures. What comes included in that pack of bits? And are there any english instructions (not the end of the world if not.. as i have found yours! and once i get over the fact that I have been warned of death and knocking holes in my walls, i should be fine ;) )

EDIT: actually.. the link you have given me would be the alternative all in one set (as you recommended).. Is there one you would recommend if I went the FE route, to ensure that it would indeed fit onto the FE itself ok.... Cheers.

Cheers
Squid

damn it i've done it again lol...link in the bubble counter thread mate. glad to hear your sold on the FE.

Cheers chap.. BTW, is that Bedford, California? you seem to be on the net at some odd times for a fella from oop north (it's all relative).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back