Java Moss And Nitrates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

elmo666

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi. Over the last eight weeks or so I've been trying to get my 250 ltr fully planted discus tank back "in balance". Just after New year I came in to find all my fish gasping at the surface and my snowflake plec upside down. Very alarmed I set about getting more oxygen into the water. Anyway, lost all my gbr, found nitrates through the roof and some ammonia that not seen before. Cutting a long story short never noticed wife had put a plug in air freshener in 2 days previously, that's all that had changed.
Having this happen lead me to testing a lot more regularly, which in turn showed up much higher nitrates at a constant level, higher than I had thought. So to sort this left co2 as it was but cut right back on ferts, bought an ro unit and installed a nitrate reactor. All good on that front now.
Doing a good water change and plant pruning session last night I came up against that dreaded algae and some dirt in my java moss. I have a lot on bogwood. Looking at the tank and plants, all growing vigorously, I want to do away with the moss now but have two concerns. Does it use up a lot of nitrate compared to swords and stem plants and am I likely to cause a problem removing it? I have 8 shrimp, do you think they will take up residence elsewhere?

You're misunderstanding fertiliser and nitrates IMO. The algae is possibly because you're not feeding your plants any more. And nitrate has very little to do with the death of your fish.

IMO

Very high nitrates can cause the tank to crash (as per 'old tank syndrome'), whereby the pH is lowered to the point where nitrifying bacteria begin to die.  This results in ammonia levels creeping up.  Could this be what happened in your tank?

I would be concerned with finding the cause of your high nitrates.  The main causes that immediately spring to mind:
  • Insufficient water changes
  • Overstocking
  • Inadvertently massively overdosing nitrate ferts
  • Contamination of nitrates in water supply
Can you rule out any or all of these?
An air freshener might poison the water or cause ammonia due to death of bacteria but I don't see how it could cause high nitrates.

Hi fish addict and thanks for your input. Maybe my post was a little unclear. I know the deaths were not as a result of the nitrate level. I was running a full set of tests to try and determine what was going on as I suspected the air freshener may have killed off some of my bacterial filtration, or oxygen deficiencies in the tank. It was only because of this I discovered the high nitrates and so set about tackling that as a separate issue. I'm mainly looking to get rid of the moss for aesthetic reasons, my only concern is that if it's consuming a certain amount of nitrate, removing it may have a negative impact.

Ok let's clarify sequence of events:
Fish gasping>water tests done> high nitrates discovered> remedial action taken to sort problem.
Tap water found to have high nitrates hence ro unit bought.
Ph remained stable throughout as indicated by the drop tester I use for my co2 and testing separately. Without realising I had been " killing my fish with kindness" ( not literally lol) by doing 2 30% water changes weekly, actually adding quite a lot of nitrate.
Stocking levels are ok: 6 small discus, 2 balloon rams, 8 dwarf coryadoras 6 black phantom tetra, shrimp and 6 ottos.
Discus are fed 2 x daily.
Now guys............java fern....... Do you think removing a fait old amount be an issue?

A couple of comments. Lowering the pH gradually in a tank into acid levels is the exact method used to establish bacteria that do function in such water. I have put this method to use myself. One can get a tank cycles at a pH approaching 4.0 given the time and accurate pH testing. However, one of the best indicators that OTS has happened in a tank is the pH gets much lower. Ammonia does not rise old tank syndrome, other things do. The bacteria are still converting all the ammonia and nitrite. The biggest problem is when one changes the water finally all the parmeters change rapidly and by a fair amount. The balance between NH3 and NH4 which was almost all NH4 changes fast into much more NH3 as the pH rises.

And then lets dispel another misstatement, nitrate can kill fish and it will do so. It is one of the causes of OTS as well. If one fails to remove nitrate as it builds up it will create acids which cause the pH to drop. Nitrate also changes the TDS. Nitrate poisoning has the same symptoms as nitrite poisoning- fish gasp at the surface because their blood cannot carry oxygen. The difference between the nitrite and the nitrate is the size of the molecule. NO2 is smaller than NO3. And just like NH3 can pass through the gills into the fish but NH4 can't, nitrate has a much harder time passing through as well. However, it is not totally blocked, the result is that it takes much higher concentrations of nitrate and/or longer exposure times to have an effect on fish.

Without the nitrate in his tap, elmo's tank should have been doing fine. Plants consume ammonium so most of the total ammonia (TA) in the tank was likely being taken up by the plants and not bacteria. So this portion of the TA was not being converted to nitrate. Further, most plants want to take up nitrate which should act to lower any in the tank if not eliminate it. And if one is adding ferts with nitrogen (often in the form of nitrate to some extent) and then has lots of NO3 in their tap, it can build up.

I had indicate in some of the other threads in this topic that ro was likely the best solution. I felt it was a better solution than trying to us a nitrate reactor on the tank. It really is the tap water that is the problem here and one easy way to manage that is via dealing with it before it goes into the tank. One can do this in a number of ways. One is to mix ro and tap to get a resulting water much lower in nitrate. Another would be to hone one's mix of fertilizers to lower the nitrogen (nitrate) component because it is already in the tap. 

Another way to deal with the problem could be a sump acting as a veggie filter filled with lots more nitrate sucking plants. Using SeaChem denitrate has its drawbacks. For one it requires a pretty slow flow rate (50 gph or less) which means separate equipment for if from the rest of one's filtration. Then, like any media, it can clog. What this media does is use other bacteria living on the outermost portion to use up the oxygen in the water passing through so what reached the anaerobic deitrifying bacteria in the center is devoid of O. To much flow will defeat this because the "outer" bacteria can nit use all the O that fast. Next, since this is a porous media, it can be clogged solids in the water. If it clogs the flow to the center is the first thing to slow and/or stop and this means the denitrifying process suffers as well.

Finally, the directions for this product state:

Q: How much nitrate will de*nitrate™remove?
A: It is recommended that if nitrate levels are very high that they be brought down to at least 20 ppm through water changes before using de*nitrate. At that point de*nitrate will bring the nitrate levels down to 4 – 5 ppm after several days of use. Since de*nitrate™, Matrix™,and Pond Matrix™are all biological support media, they do not actually ever exhaust, but they can grown less efficient with use by pore clogging. Prefiltering the water before it passes through these products will extend its useful life.
from http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/denitrate.html

But in the situation here the problem was/is nitrate in the tap.

Basically, the nitrogen cycle in our freshwater tanks is incomplete. The final step is not nitrate, it is the conversion of nitrate back into the very thing that begins the process, nitrogen. Since this is an anaerobic process for aquariums, and because there are other things that build up in tanks, we do water changes for freshwater. Sw folks have live rock and other goodies that can help handle nitrate so they are not saddled with having to do the same sort of water changing. But they have other issues they deal with that the fw side doesn't.

Given this is a planted tank and given that there is now ro water involved and denitrate too, I would become a bit concerned about a potential lack of nitrate in the tank and what that means for the plants and especially for algae. Despite what all the plant pros say regarding nitrate and phosphate not causing algae, they are wrong to the extent that when one has way too much of these things, the result will definitely be algae. There is a difference between the controlled dosing and control used by folks who know what they are adding, it is another thing if they double or triple the amount of phosphate and/or nitrate they are adding each time. Apparently, the situation here that is causing issues is not just some nitrate it is way too much nitrate coming in via the tap not via sensible fertilizing or bacterial creation.

Elmo, if your tap nitrate is as high as you are indicting. I would not drink your water and, for sure, would definitely not give it to infants or very young children. I would have been more inclined to use a combination or ro water and a change in the fertilizer components before I went to the denitrate. Since you have done so already, you will need to monitor the opposite end of things now. You need to insure you are not removing too much nitrate to the detriment of your plants. Of course all of this is being complicated by the lack of accuracy of the nitrate test kits. At best they can indicate the direction things are moving but not a real accurate level of absolute levels.

A very in depth reply thanks two tanks. I'm using denitrate in a canister filter with a very small pump giving a flow rate of approx 20 lph. This all came as a kit, I'm currently looking for a pump to double that rate. Now, two tanks, even with my inaccurate test kits lol, I'm able to register water returning from my " nitrate reactor" as it was sold, is one third that of the tank. Very pleased with that to be honest. Do you know the lifespan of denitrate? My pump prefilters it as does my canister. It is kept in the cupboard bbelow no light to cause any algal growth. Because it merely acts as a host for aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, if it doesn't clog shouldn't it last for a considerable period of time??
Any thoughts on the short term impact of removing the java moss?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back