Java ferns dying?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

TO KYO

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
When you buy new plants and set them in your aquarium you can expect the leafs to die, I know that, since it was in a different environment, but my ferns keep dying even the baby ones. I increased the amount of light hours from 8-12 and now Iā€™m getting algae on the glass, but my java ferns still doing bad

Attachments

• C870FB4B-08C1-4679-B3BE-968B3835C91A.jpeg
    C870FB4B-08C1-4679-B3BE-968B3835C91A.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 169
The plants that die, do they have the black patching on them?
If yes, it might be a mould or something growing on them and killing them.

Apart from that they look reasonably healthy.

If they are in the molly tank and you're still adding salt, that might affect the plants if the salt level is too high.

The plants that die, do they have the black patching on them?
If yes, it might be a mould or something growing on them and killing them.

Apart from that they look reasonably healthy.

If they are in the molly tank and you're still adding salt, that might affect the plants if the salt level is too high.
No, I changed to cichlids sand, so I no longer have to use salt.

Trim off all the leaves with the black patching and throw them in the bin. Do a few big water changes and see how they go. If it is a mould on the plants, removing the leaves and doing some water changes should dilute any mould spores in the water and hopefully stop the problem.

Last edited:
Trim off all the leaves with the black patching and throw them in the bin. Do a few big water changes and see how they go. If it is a mould on the plants, removing the leaves and doing some water changes should dilute any mould spores in the water and hopefully stop the problem.
Also, some of the new ones were losing their color and turning like ghostly light I donā€™t know how to describe it correctly..transparent I donā€™t know haha hope you figure out what Iā€™m talking about

Java fern does not need very much of anything (light, ferts, CO2).
One thing it does not do well with is strong lighting which can burn the leaves. This shows as leaves developing brown spots and ultimately going transparent. I suspect that by increasing your lighting period you could actually have made the problem worse.
The main issue is the intensity of the lighting rather than duration. If you don't have plants with high light requirements you could turn them down (if possible) or use floating plants to filter the light.

And from what I hear, Java Fern is one of the hardest to kill plants. So I think if you do what @Colin_T said to do, and limit your light for the next 4-5 days, you should see an improvement.

Good luck! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back