Java Fern

BanjoFish

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 7, 2026
Messages
268
Reaction score
220
Points
43
Location
Bedford UK
One of my tank plants bought on Amazon.

Is it a favourite of yours?

full
 
I have it in many... though I prefer anubias now, for the similar easy growth, and the variety
 
I’m loving the trident var. Had a plant die back to nothing but the rhizome now it’s a lush jungle
 
I have two varieties, my wife wanted them, the tank is in the family room so I had to compromise. I have the more typical ones, but I also have a variety that has narrower leaves that mostly grow vertically they are doing the best, sorry don't remember the variety. In the end I really like them they have established themselves in many areas of the tank and I like the plantlets developing from the spores on the backs of the leaves.

When planting them I normally just push the rhizomes onto the surface of the substrate or simply put something heavy on them until the rhizomes hold the plant in place.
 
Java Fern is my favorite plant . I am not , by any stretch of the imagination , an aquarium plant grower . Java Fern grows for me and I have some plants that I’ve had for over ten years .
 
I use to hate it. That was more to do with me looking after them properly. When they are happy they a beautiful plant. Im waiting to get the Latifolia version when it becomes available. Cryptocoryne species are my favourite plant
 
It's a good one and I use it in most of my tanks, but in my opinion it gets ugly as it grows big. I often start out with it and gradually remove it as a tank matures. In my experience it doesn't like lots of nitrates; before I discovered frequent water changes and test kits, JF was a canary in the coal mine for dirty water.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top