FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pointy_kitty

i eat buttons
Reaction score
i have 2 java ferns in bowls which both get sunlight from sunrise to sunset
(not an actual tank light)
the room is warm so the water is always 70-75
my question is, can i use plant food (in tiny amounts) in my bowls?
or will it harm my bettas?
also the plants are doing ok but i fear they might not have anything to eat so will plant food and sunlight be enough to keep them flourishing?

thanks in advance for the info ;)

Just add the food proportionatly and it should be fine :nod: It may be hard to add a precise amount. Disclaimer: I've never actually added plant fertilizer to fish bowls, only to small aquariums (i.e. 4 gallons). :p

cutechic said:
Just add the food proportionatly and it should be fine :nod: It may be hard to add a precise amount. Disclaimer: I've never actually added plant fertilizer to fish bowls, only to small aquariums (i.e. 4 gallons). :p
but you have had java fern in bowls before?
how did that work out for you?

No, 've never had java ferns in bowls before. I had anubias, which has similaar requirements, in a 4 gallon. The dosage of plant fertilizer was for a 20 gallon tank, so I divided that by 5 to get the correct dosage ofr a 4 gallon tank. I think you could do the same with your fish bowl. If you dont add the precise dosage, I don't think it'll harm your fish.

if you add to much the alge would luv to consume it. you could add 3 time the amount needed, and would still not harm your fish. but I would hate to be the one that need to clean the tank..

With the frequent water changes necessary in those small bowls, I would think any trace nutrients would be supplied from your tap water. Frankly, I'd forget about plant food.

Lateral Line said:
With the frequent water changes necessary in those small bowls, I would think any trace nutrients would be supplied from your tap water. Frankly, I'd forget about plant food.
Agreed. Especially with Java Fern, which really isn't very picky about its conditions.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back