Java fern fail, suggested suppliers?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Bought this Java fern from an amazon seller. Also got let down by two ebay purchases for Hemianthus Callitrichoides, it's hard enough to plant without damaging roots but although once from a fish tank specific supplier, it did ok despite it getting loose from the gravel, twice after bought from same Amazon and ebay, arriving with roots already quite brown... died immediately after planting through quite rapid rot/yellowing and dissolving.

Anyone recommend a good, easy plant from good supplier through your experience, specifically oxygenating plants, and something similar to HC which will grow to create a planted base/grassy look over the gravel?

Attachments

• Aq Plant 2.jpeg
    Aq Plant 2.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Aq plant 3.jpeg
    Aq plant 3.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Aq plant 4.jpeg
    Aq plant 4.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Aq plant 5.jpeg
    Aq plant 5.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 86
  • Aquarium plants 1.jpeg
    Aquarium plants 1.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 90
get one from a place where they are already in water, ask about their care, get a similar lighting sytem, same ferts. i think that is what works for me. honestly im scared of java fern because id died miserably the first time.

Are the Java ferns planted in the substrate? That's what your photos look like, though photos can be misleading as they only show one angle. If they are planted in the substrate, they should not be. The rhizome, the thick thing that the leaves grow out of, rots if it's under the substrate.

I've always had success with plants from the Ebay seller k2aqua.

Are the Java ferns planted in the substrate? That's what your photos look like, though photos can be misleading as they only show one angle. If they are planted in the substrate, they should not be. The rhizome, the thick thing that the leaves grow out of, rots if it's under the substrate.

I've always had success with plants from the Ebay seller k2aqua.
Hey, thanks for this. They are planted but I thought all plants should be, if not.. as the ones which get loose, they just float around. I also tried aquarium glueing one or two to rocks/pebbles but the roots rotted.. so unsure how exactly people glue their plant roots to avoid suffocating the roots.

I use sewing thread to tie them on, though I use wood rather than rocks. After a while the plants attach themselves, then the thread rots and falls away.

There are a few plants which are grown attached to decor - java fern, all species of anubias, bolbitis, all species of bucephalandra.

I use cotton twine, and flourish plant glue (seems basically like a gel super glue with a seachem label, at least it sticks to my fingers like that)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back