Japanese Firebelly Newt

OneOnion

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if I could put one Japanese Firebelly Newt in a 5 gallon aquarium with 1/4 land and 3/4 water? Thanks.

Hi I was wondering if I could put one Japanese Firebelly Newt in a 5 gallon aquarium with 1/4 land and 3/4 water? Thanks.

I would guess no. They grow to 5 inches in length. You can put one chinese fire bellied newt in 5 gallons though.
Oh, Ok. Do Chinese firebelly newts like a little land? I kind of wanted an animal that would live on land and water so I could make the aquarium have both, is there anything I could put in a five gallon that likes water and land? like a small frog or something? Thanks.

Bump. Anything that can go in five gallon paludarium?

Oriental fire bellied toads? there is a care sheet on here, not too sure if 5 gal is too small,
African dwarf frogs
Newts/salamanders - most apparently will use both but some need more land than water

Im thinking about doing one of these lol got the sticky stuff to stick pieces together and got some slate coming in a few weeks :D im thinking oriental fire bellied toad

If I can fit one chinese firebelly newt in a 5 gallon, will it go on land at all? Oh yeah, and do Oriental Fire Bellied Toads make noise at all?

Oriental fire bellied toads? there is a care sheet on here, not too sure if 5 gal is too small,
African dwarf frogs
Newts/salamanders - most apparently will use both but some need more land than water

Im thinking about doing one of these lol got the sticky stuff to stick pieces together and got some slate coming in a few weeks :D im thinking oriental fire bellied toad

Japanese firebellys need land. so 5ukg is way too small (it will need that much water) and they grow much too big for that size. Its too small for Chinese firebellys too, even though then don't need land.

unfortunately, the only connection between firebelly toads and newts, is the name, and the fact they are amphibians.

African dwarf frogs

Japanese firebellys need land. so 5ukg is way too small (it will need that much water) and they grow much too big for that size. Its too small for Chinese firebellys too, even though then don't need land.

unfortunately, the only connection between firebelly toads and newts, is the name, and the fact they are amphibians.
Actually I was talking about 5 US gallons. I don't know if that's more or less, though.

EDIT: Found this in fish species index about Japanese firebelly newts
The_Dude at Fish Species Index said:
Housing: 5 gallons is the bare minimum for one. They should have a small land area of some sort, or a floating dock. If the land alternative is chosen, the ratio should be 1/3 land and 2/3 water, or 1/2 land and 1/2 water. Either is good.
Link: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/196653-japanese-fire-belly-newt/

African dwarf frogs

Actually I was talking about 5 US gallons. I don't know if that's more or less, though.

EDIT: Found this in fish species index about Japanese firebelly newts
The_Dude at Fish Species Index said:
Housing: 5 gallons is the bare minimum for one. They should have a small land area of some sort, or a floating dock. If the land alternative is chosen, the ratio should be 1/3 land and 2/3 water, or 1/2 land and 1/2 water. Either is good.
Link: http://www.fishforum...ire-belly-newt/

5 us gallons is less than 5uk gallons. :good:

as for the profile, it says "bare minimum". hardly ideal!!!!!!!!!! it does not take too much thought to see an animal 5 inches long, will be short of space in such a small tank. not to mention, trying to split it into land and water. case of common sense really.

5 us gallons is less than 5uk gallons. :good:

as for the profile, it says "bare minimum". hardly ideal!!!!!!!!!! it does not take too much thought to see an animal 5 inches long, will be short of space in such a small tank. not to mention, trying to split it into land and water. case of common sense really.
Ok. So I can put one chinese firebelly newt in it and that's all? Is there anything else that fits in there? If not, will a Chinese Firebelly Newt ever use land?

make sure you make sure theres no place out the tank they are escape artists. My brother had one for over a year and one day after a water change wed moved some wires and there was enought room for him to squeeze out the top he mudt have wondered round the house and sadly i found him dead on the bathroom floor the next day. Luckily our dog hadnt found it if it had we may have had to dead pets on our hand because they contain toxins.

5 us gallons is less than 5uk gallons.  :good:

Ok. So I can put one chinese firebelly newt in it and that's all? Is there anything else that fits in there? If not, will a Chinese Firebelly Newt ever use land?

Chinese Firebellys do not need or use land. indeed, if they do its, usually, because of a water problem. as Chinese newts grow to 4 inches (max), i would suggest no to a 5 g tank. but ts up to you. if you do decide to "go for it", your experience may well help others in future.

Eh, I'll just make it a betta fish with some adfs. I wouldn't want people to start bugging me to get a bigger tank once I get a firebelly newt.

African dwarf frogs

I never said anything about firebellied newts, there are alot of smaller newts, and i know the difference between the newts and toads its rather obvious :nod:
And if that size tank is too small how come there is the thread on here saying 5 gal is ok obviously the larger the better.
Not wanting to annoy or make anyone think im having a go.

African dwarf frogs

I never said anything about firebellied newts, there are alot of smaller newts, and i know the difference between the newts and toads its rather obvious  :nod:
And if that size tank is too small how come there is the thread on here saying 5 gal is ok obviously the larger the better.
Not wanting to annoy or make anyone think im having a go.

indeed you did not mention newts. which is odd, as that is the subject of the thread. so the question would be. why did you mention toads, in this thread?

I cant speak for comments by others. but only from my experience, and that of those i know, who have kept amphibians for some years.

Most reactions

Back