Jack Demspeys And Oscars

emmsy

Fishaholic
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
571
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
swansea
I've just realised looking through my fish breed book, that I've never kept JD's or Oscars. Can someone give me the heads up for my 5x2x2 tank. How many I could have? Could I have both JD's and Oscars?
 
You could quite easily have one of each and some more tankmates. If you have more than 1 of each, I would avoid getting pairs.
 
So could I have

1 x JD
1 x Oscar
1 x Domino plec
1 x Geophagus Jurupari ( one of my fav fish )

I'm cringing cos I know what a reply might be, but I'm gonna ask anyway.
 
Yeah, sounds good, though I thought eartheaters liked to be in groups? So maybe up the numbers to 3 or so?

5'x2'x2' is 150 USG, so you have abit of room to play with :P

One thing I would watch out for is the oscar growing quicker than the JD, though this might not be a problem I know it can be with EBJD's (though these grow slower than JD's, just thought I'd mention it).

I'm not sure about the plec really, don't really know much about them.
 
It was actually the Jurupari I was cringing about. I have 2 in my 6x2x2, and they keep the small gravel immaculate. Thought I'd test the water before saying 2 or 3

The plec would be to stay on top of the algae for the short term, and I've never owned a domino plec

Emma
 
watch the oscar as my big guys already 15", he shares his tank with a Green terror, a gibby plec and a senegal bichir. You should be alright with your stocking levels but be warned of the agression that JD's and oscars usually show towards one another.
 
2 x JD (1 male 1 female) ?
1 x Domino plec
2 x Geophagus Jurupari

Would this work?
 
Sounds fine, but yet again watch the JDs now as if they do decided to breed on you then your going to have some really pushy fish in that tank.

Personally I'd suggest:

1 JD
1 Green Terror
1 Plec
and the 2 Geophagus Jurupari

but that's just because I like green terrors lol.
 
2 x JD (1 male 1 female) ?
1 x Domino plec
2 x Geophagus Jurupari

Would this work?

If the JD's were to pair up then your Jurapi's would likely be on the end of a Lot of aggression,

Do you know of another name for the Domino Plec? I'm guessing its a 'made up' common name as i've never heard of it before and i can find nothing using google that has the common name of domino plec?

edit: If is was me, i'd have to have an oscar,

and from experience i'd say Oscars are big softys compared to Green Terrors
 
I've already got a Green Terror, or is it a Blue Acara. Could be a mixture of both, cos it doesn't look like my GT in the species book, or the Blue Acara.

DSCF0443.jpg
[/img]
 
My Oscar got the crap beat of him at 5 inches by a 5 inch Jack Dempsey. It was one of the meanest fish i have ever kept, next to the Midas that drew blood after it bit me and latched on to me hand. They are really territorial. Also, I wouldn't mix Jurapari with a meaner cichlid such as a Jack Dempsey. Jurapari are very social fish that should be kept in groups, in your tank I'd say at least 6. Also, they need to have a tank with a sandy bottom, as they shift sand around looking for worms and larvae. Jurapari can have gravel get stuck in their mouths which can cause a broken or dis figuration. The Jack Dempsey will most likely bully them too. If I were you I would get an Oscar, preferably a very small one that you can raise and some Jurarpari or other large sized eartheater and leave the Jack Dempsey alone. I say to get a small because I rescued one from a ten gallon at m y local fish store that somebody couldn't take care of. I brought him home and out of five Oscars, he is as mean as the Jack Dempsey. His previous owner most likely gave him feeders and instilled this urge to hunt and kill. My other Oscars were all gentle giants that would eat pellets. Check out these guys, they would go well in your tank.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/pardee/2374267496/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/pardee/2374267496/</a>
 
My Oscar got the crap beat of him at 5 inches by a 5 inch Jack Dempsey. It was one of the meanest fish i have ever kept, next to the Midas that drew blood after it bit me and latched on to me hand. They are really territorial. Also, I wouldn't mix Jurapari with a meaner cichlid such as a Jack Dempsey. Jurapari are very social fish that should be kept in groups, in your tank I'd say at least 6. Also, they need to have a tank with a sandy bottom, as they shift sand around looking for worms and larvae. Jurapari can have gravel get stuck in their mouths which can cause a broken or dis figuration. The Jack Dempsey will most likely bully them too. If I were you I would get an Oscar, preferably a very small one that you can raise and some Jurarpari or other large sized eartheater and leave the Jack Dempsey alone. I say to get a small because I rescued one from a ten gallon at m y local fish store that somebody couldn't take care of. I brought him home and out of five Oscars, he is as mean as the Jack Dempsey. His previous owner most likely gave him feeders and instilled this urge to hunt and kill. My other Oscars were all gentle giants that would eat pellets. Check out these guys, they would go well in your tank.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/pardee/2374267496/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/pardee/2374267496/</a>


Oooh yes I like them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top