Jack Demspeys And Oscars

I wouldnt advise that you put a jurapari in with a jack or a oscar. Generally the jarapri have a very peacefull disposition. He/she might end-up taking alot of aggression from the two.
 
People say jacks are one of the most aggressive and one of the biggest PITA's because of it, but I love that he is aggressive. Gives him personality. And honestly, beyond a mistake I made thinking that I should get him a girlfriend and almost getting the female killed, he has never been superaggressive towards any other fish I have. Def go with the jack, and plan the tank around it :good: I think it would be worth it :shifty:
 
if i remember correctly Nelly has a 150 with 2 oscars, a jaguar, a jd, a severum and some sort of huge pleco plus others that i don't remember. he doesn't seem to have problems.

i have 1 JD and 2 EBJDs so i'm biased but would still suggest them for their aggressive personalities and beautiful colors. I would also suggest Severums (i have them too) for their peaceful dispositions. Sevs also seem to have a certain dignity that i like...a statelyness. if that makes any sense. about 3 weeks ago i added a cuban cichlid (not sure if it's male or female) and i really like it. it's a very good looking fish and so calm. nothing seems to bother it. very cool and might be worth looking into.

there are so many to choose from and so many different opinions to listen to. i just hope you let us know what your decision is and show us lots of pics :D
 
wow 40 pounds for a rokeli, they aren't that much here. there are so many beautiful cichlids with nicer tempers that you wouldn't need to worry about, such as several of the geopahgus and other earth eaters. There are also regular severums that have less color are no than less very nice colored fish, festivums, discus, or even if you want to do African try frontosas. A school of them would really neat in your tank.
 
My Oscar got the crap beat of him at 5 inches by a 5 inch Jack Dempsey. It was one of the meanest fish i have ever kept, next to the Midas that drew blood after it bit me and latched on to me hand. They are really territorial. Also, I wouldn't mix Jurapari with a meaner cichlid such as a Jack Dempsey. Jurapari are very social fish that should be kept in groups, in your tank I'd say at least 6. Also, they need to have a tank with a sandy bottom, as they shift sand around looking for worms and larvae. Jurapari can have gravel get stuck in their mouths which can cause a broken or dis figuration. The Jack Dempsey will most likely bully them too. If I were you I would get an Oscar, preferably a very small one that you can raise and some Jurarpari or other large sized eartheater and leave the Jack Dempsey alone. I say to get a small because I rescued one from a ten gallon at m y local fish store that somebody couldn't take care of. I brought him home and out of five Oscars, he is as mean as the Jack Dempsey. His previous owner most likely gave him feeders and instilled this urge to hunt and kill. My other Oscars were all gentle giants that would eat pellets. Check out these guys, they would go well in your tank.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/pardee/2374267496/" target="_blank">http://www.flickr.com/photos/pardee/2374267496/</a>

:blink: roughly what size will the JD's start to get aggressive towards the eartheaters??? I have 2 of each and so far they get on fine. just aswell i'm looking for a bigger tank in the near future lol
 
as the fish grows and reaches sexual maturity, it will begin to hold it's territory much tighter.... I would say after 3-5 monthes you will see slight aggression as they fish begin to mature and then around 6 to 8, the main aggression should start. This will be when the fish fully develops into it's adult form. Could be different for each member of a species, just like humans, we all develop at different points in our teens. But with fish having shorter lives, this "teen" period is shortened to only a few months instead of 6 to 8 years as in humans
 

Most reactions

Back
Top