Jack Dempsey Tank Mates?

My Jacks are alone in a tank as they are a pair. They can get quite evil when they spawn. But tankmates are not impossible at all. Most fish will tolerate Jacks and vice versa. Especially if you have the lone Jack Dempsey (is yours female or male) The only time I really saw problems with tankmates when it came to mine was when they would spawn. My 3 inch female could put an oscar on the floor. I also tried to combine tank and found that while my female Jack and female Green Terror got along just fine, the males sparred for days. With Cichlids, its reallya guessing game. It is hard to say if they will get along. I always figured cichlids choose their tankmates, not us.

I would stick with trying cichlids that are along the same size as your Jack. Have a backup plan in case it doesnt work.

Oscars and jack desmseys are great tank mates. They get along and eat just about anything you want to feed them.

In fact, I have two jacks and two oscars in the same tank they seem to get along quite well.

Oscars and jack desmseys are great tank mates. They get along and eat just about anything you want to feed them.

In fact, I have two jacks and two oscars in the same tank they seem to get along quite well.

How old are the Oscars? Be leary as they get older. They may decide after maturity that they do not want tank mates anymore. Also, if you have male and female jack dempseys, they will kill the oscars when they start spawning.

That isn' t the case for me. They are all about the same size and my friends numerous times have had the same setup. In their fish tank setups the fish have been territorial but none of the fish died or anything like that. From their experience they tell me that they are perfect tank mates

How old are your fish and what size are they? The temperament of a young Oscar differs greatly from that of an adult.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back