Its been a while

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nemo2182

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Ive been quiet recently, nothing to really report. Well....that isnt 100% accurate...

Welcome Aquascape revision 3.0!!

Now this wasnt a wanted change, but more a forced one....My tank got infested with scuds. Horrible little alien crustaceans, that breed like wild fire. As I have a nano tank, my fish are nano, so were absolutely rubbish at keeping the numbers down. Before the rescape I reackon I had a min of 100, prob more. That was in 9 months.

So they are practically impossible to kill unless you strip tank down, bin all the plants, boil all your decor etc etc.

It turns out that this was not such a bad thing after all, as I have used everything I have learned to create my best (in my opinon) scape so far

Bonsia Tree - Those who followed my last build will remember the bonsai tree I setup. It was pretty good in old setup, java moss grew like mad and had plenty of volume. Cons maintaining Java moss in a tree is hard work. It hides every little nasty known to a fish tank. Falls out often and blocks filter inlet

Marimo Moss - Second time round I have ordered some large marino moss balls, they are better looking and much more manageable. And better for Shrimp

Sand - Probably a discussion point here, as a few purists would argue this isnt actually sand, but fine gravel. I agree, but it is tried and tested with cories. Lesson learned with play sand + river sand? It is too dense and creates lots of air pockets, is not so stable so moves alot. Finally, algae grows in it. I had horrible green mush in places where id built sand high. So this is another lesson learned, DONT be tempted to build your sand too high, 1-1.5 inches is plenty

Egg crate - This has been removed. I read loads of for and against, and decided for my set up i didnt want it. It holds air and means you have to build your ground higher, meaning eating into fish swim space.

Ive gone a bit mental with rock formation this time round, but im so happy with it. Cories can hide, yet its still tall enough for other fish to play. Ive reduced the plants also to just one large Java Fern. Totally static, just a filter foam ring to stop it floating away

The cermaic rings under rock arent staying. They were plant weights ive reused for biomedia to jump onto. New scape means mini cycle unfortunately, so want to speed it up anyway I can....

Well thanks for reading. Please Let me know what you think....

16119213403427896056249782917357.jpg
20210129_112810.jpg
16119216642728432777072212514464.jpg
16119214126533860567960283321983.jpg
16119214301444818828846207390973.jpg

Attachments

• 16119215548627753460480619971965.jpg
    16119215548627753460480619971965.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Hi guys,

Ive been quiet recently, nothing to really report. Well....that isnt 100% accurate...

Welcome Aquascape revision 3.0!!

Now this wasnt a wanted change, but more a forced one....My tank got infested with scuds. Horrible little alien crustaceans, that breed like wild fire. As I have a nano tank, my fish are nano, so were absolutely rubbish at keeping the numbers down. Before the rescape I reackon I had a min of 100, prob more. That was in 9 months.

So they are practically impossible to kill unless you strip tank down, bin all the plants, boil all your decor etc etc.

It turns out that this was not such a bad thing after all, as I have used everything I have learned to create my best (in my opinon) scape so far

Bonsia Tree - Those who followed my last build will remember the bonsai tree I setup. It was pretty good in old setup, java moss grew like mad and had plenty of volume. Cons maintaining Java moss in a tree is hard work. It hides every little nasty known to a fish tank. Falls out often and blocks filter inlet

Marino Moss - Second time round I have ordered some large marino moss balls, they are better looking and much more manageable. And better for Shrimp

Sand - Probably a discussion point here, as a few purists would argue this isnt actually sand, but fine gravel. I agree, but it is tried and tested with cories. Lesson learned with play sand + river sand? It is too dense and creates lots of air pockets, is not so stable so moves alot. Finally, algae grows in it. I had horrible green mush in places where id built sand high. So this is another lesson learned, DONT be tempted to build your sand too high, 1-1.5 inches is plenty

Egg crate - This has been removed. I read loads of for and against, and decided for my set up i didnt want it. It holds air and means you have to build your ground higher, meaning eating into fish swim space.

Ive gone a bit mental with rock formation this time round, but im so happy with it. Cories can hide, yet its still tall enough for other fish to play. Ive reduced the plants also to just one large Java Fern. Totally static, just a filter foam ring to stop it floating away

The cermaic rings under rock arent staying. They were plant weights ive reused for biomedia to jump onto. New scape means mini cycle unfortunately, so want to speed it up anyway I can....

Well thanks for reading. Please Let me know what you think....

View attachment 127815View attachment 127820View attachment 127821View attachment 127817View attachment 127818
nice! your bonsai ball thingies are marimos i think rather than java moss (might have read wrong)

nice! your bonsai ball thingies are marimos i think rather than java moss (might have read wrong)
Yeah I changed from java to the balls....annoyingly my snail is a egg laying machine, and once they are on, they are on!!!

I love the use the marimo balls to create the tree. Very cool! How many gallons is the tank?

I wish I had a scud problem. My fish love them. I need to start a new culture one if these days.

I love the use the marimo balls to create the tree. Very cool! How many gallons is the tank?

I wish I had a scud problem. My fish love them. I need to start a new culture one if these days.
Its a 46ltr Fluval Edge with aquaclear 30 upgrade + 50 impeller

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back