It Didnt Work..

youngfisher

Marine Keeper..
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
3,105
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leicester
Well, I purchased some Mature Media from a friend on here, Tom.

Well, I put it in yesterday, put some fish food in it - to hopefully keep the bacteria alive. Well I went out today and purchased an API Fresh Water Master Kit for £24 :crazy:

So I got home like, Yay! hopefully the results should be fine and I can get some fishies :hyper:

Well, Done the test and this is as follows (The readings):

Nitrate: 20ppm
Ammonia: 8.0ppm :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Nitrite: 1.0ppm :crazy:

Now, I told told the Nitrate was ok if it was below 40ppm..Is this true?

So im wondering what to do now? Im guessing some ammonia will be needed. So I will purchase that either tonight or tommorow.
I have read through the fishless cycle but I don't understand a word. :blink:
Would I need to do water changes?
How much ammonia do i put in?
Etc Etc.

:good:
 
Dont add any ammonia as you are already at 8ppm, in fact do a 50% water change which should bring it down to 4ppm (ssuming you tap water is ok)

Wait for the ammonia level to come down to zero then add ammonia to bring upto 4ppm. Once the ammonia drops from 4ppm to zero in 12 hours the tank is cycled
 
Well, I purchased some Mature Media from a friend on here, Tom.

Well, I put it in yesterday, put some fish food in it - to hopefully keep the bacteria alive. Well I went out today and purchased an API Fresh Water Master Kit for £24 :crazy:

So I got home like, Yay! hopefully the results should be fine and I can get some fishies :hyper:

Well, Done the test and this is as follows (The readings):

Nitrate: 20ppm
Ammonia: 8.0ppm :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Nitrite: 1.0ppm :crazy:

Now, I told told the Nitrate was ok if it was below 40ppm..Is this true?

So im wondering what to do now? Im guessing some ammonia will be needed. So I will purchase that either tonight or tommorow.
I have read through the fishless cycle but I don't understand a word. :blink:
Would I need to do water changes?
How much ammonia do i put in?
Etc Etc.

:good:


With ammonia that high it's likely to have stalled your cycle, if the pinned thread fishless cycle doesnt help you tbh theres not really anymore than can be said any simpler lol.

you need to do a water change(reasonably large to clear some of that ammonia) then re-test without adding anythink else, when these results are gieven then youcan go from there :)

jen
 
Yep 50% w/c to get the ammonia down, it was as I thought, adding it to the bag wasnt a great idea, at that high level there is a chance it will cause the bacteria to die back.

Once the ammonia is down to 4ppm from the w/c, follow the guidelines for a fishless cycle, by adding ammonia each time it goes down to 0. Fishless cycling guide is the red link in my sig.
 
Try not to be too disheartened by the way! Chances are you've still got a kick start to the cycling process. Just pretend like you bought a bacteria bottle product that actually works! lol. It's still no instacycle but it'll speed things up.
 
Well - Thank you everyone. I understand how to do this cycle.

Good old JenCliBee just tried explaining it and in the end I finally understand.

So the cycle starts..great :( lol

I will let you know when I finish cycling :good:
 
Well - Thank you everyone. I understand how to do this cycle.

Good old JenCliBee just tried explaining it and in the end I finally understand.

So the cycle starts..great :( lol

I will let you know when I finish cycling :good:


Less of the old you cheeky wipa-snapper :P
 
I'm sorry it didnt work, but it looks like you have a great headstart there, it should shave quite a bit of waiting time off.

Hope it all goes quick & easy for you.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top