Is your filter a nitrate factory?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AbbeysDad

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Now filters are a great thing. They trap particulate matter and provide a great platform for beneficial bacteria colony(ies). However, I read all the time on various forums about filters that aren't serviced for weeks or even months. This is like "out of sight, out of mind".
The fact is that any organic material trapped in a filter decays into nitrogenous compounds.
I feel that the best approach is to service the filter(s) often to get the crud out of the system.
What do you think?

I service my filters once a week, I give the sponges a good rinse in tank water and replace the floss,

Canister Filter
I have 2 trays of sponges course medium fine and and floss, above that I have a tray of sintered glass media, I hardly ever have to rinse media because all the muck is filtered out by the sponges before it can reach the media.

Hang on back filter
As I have a fine prefilter sponge on the intake I give it a good rinse in hot water every week to get rid of any muck, Yes Yes I know it kills the bacteria in the sponge but I do not care its only a prefilter, my HOB is full of sintered glass media sitting on a medium sponge, I hardly ever touch these.

I clean mine at least weekly and sometimes 2x/week. I use sponge material only in my two AC70 filters (over the years I've discovered that sponge material is not only excellent mechanical, but also excellent bio-media).
The sponges go in the sink under running water and get squeezed out really well. (I have well water, so no chlorine),
The exception is my 4 liter DIY sponge bio-filter that I just let run as it's inlet is from one of the pre-filtered HOBs .
Note: Following each weekly water change I have been using a Marineland Magnum Internal Polishing Filter using the micron cartridge and charged with diatomaceous earth. I let it run for several hours to super polish the water to crystal clarity.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back